The Student Room Group

How do I stop reading into things?

So this girl I recently became friends with at uni was like if you ever want to study with someone you or just want to hang out you can text me and I was thinking wow she's such a nice person and when she was texting me I still thought that but then after a while we were talking about the statistics part that we both didn't really like and she was like if you need someone to study with I'll be around and then she was like to me that goes for any of the other as well. And yes she's nice she wants to help lots of people but when she said that I was thinking oh no she's brought up other people and I started worrying that she said that as a fail safe in case she ends up hating me later on so she can just study with other people, it made me think oh she's definitely going to ditch me once she realises I'm not cool or interesting or likeable yet I always feel depressed in every situation like this so how do I get rid of my inferiority complex? Because I wasn't judging her at all I still think she's really nice it's just anytime I make a new friend I immediately think that they'll end up hating me because nobody likes me and I'll forever be alone which probably stems from my childhood of getting bullied a lot for being too quiet etc. But how do I get rid of this self hatred and fear that nobody will like me??
Reply 1
Join Student Societies for things you are interested in (if you are alone). You can use it as a practice to develop social skills, and there is like a 100 per cent chance you'll meet a like-minded individual.
Don't aim to have just one friend. Relying on one person will be draining for that person, and make you emotionally dependent on them. Aim to have multiple friends.

(Also it could just be her establishing friendship boundaries)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending