The Student Room Group

What do I do after GCSE?

Currently, I'm doing my GCSEs and I'm not too sure what i should do afterwards. Could you guys give some advice?
Do you mean in the summer holidays afterwards, or your future studies (i.e. A levels, apprenticeship, college, etc)
Original post by FutureMedic789
Do you mean in the summer holidays afterwards, or your future studies (i.e. A levels, apprenticeship, college, etc)

Future studies
What GCSEs subjects do you enjoy the most? Alternatively is there something outside of school you are particularly passionate about or good at that you might want to pursue further?
I love history and english (humanities), and i would love to take them for Alevels, but the teachers in my school are so bad at feedback and marking that I'm not too sure whether i want to take them as Alevels. Older students have told me that once they got their mock feedback/marks a few days before their final! Even then they were vague! The subjects i am semi good at, the sciences, have great feedback and aren't vague, but I'm not interested in those. Many of my teachers in those subjects push me and give me more work but i have no real interest in them.
I do musical/performance things outside of school, but i can't really see myself doing anything more than part time teaching to young kids, and I'm not too great with young kids. I have looked at colleges, but I don't know anyone well enough to get a good opinion on the subjects i like, or what the tutors/courses are like. Everyone i know who did humanities for Alevel either went to my school or did theirs in the 80s/90s, so i wouldn't say those are the most reliable. So I'm kinda stuck
I understand your tricky situation, do you know if those students at your school who are doing humanities are achieving high grades in these subjects?
Have you attended any open days for other sixth forms, you might be able to ask the teachers there about how they teach and structure the course, and there will definitely be A-level students there who can tell you all about what it is like to learn at that sixth form?
I understand your tricky situation, do you know if those students at your school who are doing humanities are achieving high grades in these subjects?
Have you attended any open days for other sixth forms, you might be able to ask the teachers there about how they teach and structure the course, and there will definitely be A-level students there who can tell you all about what it is like to learn at that sixth form?

The classes are quite small in humanities, as most people choose the sciences as the teachers are just better. The classes in the humanities had like 3-5 people max, and according to the older students, they went to Universities that would accept them, no matter what grades they received.
So far, I've only looked at a few colleges, and been to 2 open evenings, so i will look at a few more both online and in person
Original post by Toffeecatlover

The classes are quite small in humanities, as most people choose the sciences as the teachers are just better. The classes in the humanities had like 3-5 people max, and according to the older students, they went to Universities that would accept them, no matter what grades they received.
So far, I've only looked at a few colleges, and been to 2 open evenings, so i will look at a few more both online and in person

At the moment though, it is quite tricky as I have an older sibling who is just 1 year older than me and is also looking at colleges/Alevels, so despite the fact that I am looking for the colleges, it is more about them for the moment. Which is kinda freaking me out seeing as I do a lot more than they do outside/not linked to school.
Do you have any idea about what degree you want to do? Obviously if you want to do English or a humanity based subject, you are going to have to take these subjects, and just try and get by with the teachers that you have.
Also sorry, I don't quite understand why you doing more outside of school than your sibling is freaking you out, please could you just explain that a bit further?
That's the thing, i don't know what degree i want to do, probably history or english literature.

The reason why it is freaking me out is because I have a lot less free time than they do (I play instruments, do acting/shows, exams outside of school, concerts, etc, but they aren't involved in things like that) yet I'm usually the one looking for the colleges and courses and doing the research. I'm afraid that once they start Alevels, I won't have that same amount of time they technically do and won't be able to go to open evenings/days etc, as i would be doing my GCSEs then.
In my school, the teachers are becoming more reliant on me to do things like concerts or to put my name forward, etc, and I suspect that they will rely on me more in the next academic year. I know this as soon I will be the most qualified person in my year, in terms of acting/speaking in public.
I see your situation, thanks for explaining, What I would say is, could you not ask your older sibling to do their own research if you are so busy? It is very kind of you to research for them, but this information sounds much more relevant to them at this time, as it seems you are not even in Y11 yet, and it is important you do not over-burden yourself with responsibilities.
I also play an instrument quite seriously, and I also get involved in the music stuff at my school, as well as speaking in assemblies quite often, so I get your experience. What I would say is, you won't have to go to many open days and they only last an evening, so I think you will have time to attend them, don't worry about that (I attended 2 open days). Also, you should be proud of yourself that you're the main student in your year that does public speaking and performances - especially the public speaking will be very useful to you in your uni application for communication skills - so keep this up. But if it is affecting your academic performance, don't be afraid to explain this to your teachers as well, as your exams are the most important.
I see your situation, thanks for explaining, What I would say is, could you not ask your older sibling to do their own research if you are so busy? It is very kind of you to research for them, but this information sounds much more relevant to them at this time, as it seems you are not even in Y11 yet, and it is important you do not over-burden yourself with responsibilities.
I also play an instrument quite seriously, and I also get involved in the music stuff at my school, as well as speaking in assemblies quite often, so I get your experience. What I would say is, you won't have to go to many open days and they only last an evening, so I think you will have time to attend them, don't worry about that (I attended 2 open days). Also, you should be proud of yourself that you're the main student in your year that does public speaking and performances - especially the public speaking will be very useful to you in your uni application for communication skills - so keep this up. But if it is affecting your academic performance, don't be afraid to explain this to your teachers as well, as your exams are the most important.

Thank you so much! This will really help me, and I will ask my older sibling about this. Thank you for replying to my question!!
No problem, good luck for your future!

Quick Reply

Latest