The Student Room Group

Gateway to Medicine 5th choice

Hi all,

so me and my friends are all hoping to apply to medicine this year however we are having struggles choosing a 5th option. One of my friends ‘A’ said that you could put gateway as the final option which he said he got confirmation from the REACH programme. However i’m not too sure if it would be a good idea.

Is gateway considered something medical related causing your application to be discounted? or is it something to consider?
Reply 1
You can only apply for 4 medicine courses via UCAS, be they standard, graduate or gateway/foundation.

I would not put it down for your 5th. I don't know about voiding it, but it might do as they wouldn't know which one to discount. DO NOT DO IT. I would hope your school would stop your friends before it gets submitted.

If you are committed to medicine there is actually no reason why you need to put a fifth down. It's a two year process for many. That said, many people do. And as the medicine process is so long it can be quite comforting to have an offer in your back pocket even if you decide not to go. But do make sure its at a lower grade than your potential med offers.

Make sure your PS is geared towards medicine. If the 5th is something that is also popular and oversubscribed then you may be asked to do a second PS (via email by the uni directly) but do not try and blend your UCAS email.

Good luck to you.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much!! I already placed biomedical science as my back up (which I don’t plan on taking) but it’s just that it’s what my friends decided. I think I’ll have to talk to my friend about their options once again.😭😭
Reply 3
Well, you can tell them but it's up to them! Hopefully their teacher will pick it up.

Good luck with your application.
Reply 4
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending