The Student Room Group

Can I do a level 3 course after finishing a UAL Extended Level 3 Diploma?

So I am starting the second year of my course (UAL Extended Level 3 Diploma) and I plan to do an A-Level in computer science on another campus once I finish. However, after getting in contact with the staff at this other college, I was informed that I will not be able to start another level 3 course once after I finish the course I am currently doing. So now I am wondering if I will even be able to do another 2-year course at all, regardless of which college I attend at the time. If not, I will need to consider dropping this course completely, but that would be the worst case scenario for me.
Original post by Ano345
So I am starting the second year of my course (UAL Extended Level 3 Diploma) and I plan to do an A-Level in computer science on another campus once I finish. However, after getting in contact with the staff at this other college, I was informed that I will not be able to start another level 3 course once after I finish the course I am currently doing. So now I am wondering if I will even be able to do another 2-year course at all, regardless of which college I attend at the time. If not, I will need to consider dropping this course completely, but that would be the worst case scenario for me.

Just out of interest, why do you want to do A Level computer science? It's strictly not a required subject. If anything, I would have thought you want to do A Level maths since it's a required subject for a number of computing courses.
If it's not for computer science, then I would first check the entry requirements of the degrees that you want to do before jumping to conclusions.

Under the ELQ, you won't receive funding for another Level 3 course (e.g. A Level) after you have full funding for an existing one (e.g. UAL Diploma)

If you really really want to do A Level computer science for any strange reason, you can often do it through an online college, but this would be self paced (i.e. can be accomplished in less than 2 years should you wish). You would have to pay for the course yourself (£495-800, depending on the course) and you would have to arrange for the exam fees as a private candidate (at least £250, but can be as high as £350 if apply late).

If you want to do A Levels at an adult college, there are some that cater to people older than 18, but you would really need to look for them (some can be far from where you live). You would also unlikely be able to enroll in a 6th form, as the latest you can enroll is when you reached 17 in that academic year. If you insist on studying at a 6th form, you would really need to contact the 6th form colleges as fast as you can.

I am also not sure what your student finance status would be like once you have dropped your UAL Diploma. I would check with student finance first.
(edited 7 months ago)
You can still get funding for additional level 3 studies if you hold a level 3 qualification. Otherwise students resitting A levels in exactly the same subjects wouldn’t get funding.

It might be a college policy that they won’t accept 18 yr olds onto 2 year courses (particularly in smaller sixth forms they often don’t want potentially 20 year olds studying alongside 16 yr olds or in a combined school and sixth form studying in the same school as 11 yr olds). FE colleges are more likely to be more relaxed about age on entry as long as you are young enough to be funded

ELQ rules are for university funding not FE.

There’s also some rules about “first L3 qualification” for funding for 19+ learners in FE
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest