The Student Room Group

Experiences with tutoring through agencies?

Hi everyone,

I have a little bit of tutoring experience and would like to get back into it. Previously, I tutored the son of an acquaintance (GCSE Biology) and I also volunteered tutoring an A-level student (Biology) through a volunteering organisation. These were both fairly short stints so I am not yet that familiar with the curricula.

I am now looking to get paid for my tutoring to earn a partial income as well as to gain more experience as I am considering getting into secondary school teaching.

Who has experience tutoring through something like Varsity Tutors (this came up when looking online)?

Or did you find your customers yourself through online ads or word of mouth?

My plan is to get the text book the student has (get multiple if I would tutor students using different publications) and prepare the work on my own after the student has told me what they would like to go over together in the next lesson. Or do I need to be familiar with every single topic before I dive into finding customers?

Thanks in advance for any experience you can share regarding tutoring. I would be interested in tutoring GCSE Biology and A-level Biology.
Reply 1
Do you mean online?
If so, I had to tutor full-time online while between jobs (for 9 months in 2021) and far and away got most of my work from Spires:
www.spires.co/k9pb

Remember that if you are doing it full time you might need to register as a sole trader.
Keep a detailed Excel spreadsheet showing all your hours worked on a particular day, what you earn each day/month and from whom (Spires or another source).
Spires auto-enrols you in a pension scheme so no problems there.
Let me know if you have any questions at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Angelil
Do you mean online?
If so, I had to tutor full-time online while between jobs (for 9 months in 2021) and far and away got most of my work from Spires:
www.spires.co/k9pb

Remember that if you are doing it full time you might need to register as a sole trader.
Keep a detailed Excel spreadsheet showing all your hours worked on a particular day, what you earn each day/month and from whom (Spires or another source).
Spires auto-enrols you in a pension scheme so no problems there.
Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Thanks, this is great information :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending