The Student Room Group

Unsure about what to do post college.

Hello everyone,
I'm a recent college leaver with a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Forensic Science (D* D* D) and I'm unsure on what to do. I've applied via UCAS for university places but seeing employment prospects in my field and knowing family members who went to uni, I'm unsure of whether to go or not. One of the reasons I'm hesitant to go is the value of credibility in my discipline, and I wouldn't want to be a fresh face out of uni with no experience in the field. I also reviewed the first year spec for all my options and it's just a repackaged version of my past two years worth of study. I also don't want to be in a lab all day doing the same thing day in and out. To combat this I did apply for courses with sandwich years but I'm still worried about experience since many employers require work experience or other recognition of practical experience. Also I put so much effort in that I eventually run out of motivation to carry on through which is also what I'm afraid of doing if I went to uni. I love research too although I'm sick of assignments. Since you learn but sometimes don't apply your knowledge. I've also attended applicant days and met some lovely people and I know the people make it but the value of the degree itself is unsure to me at the moment. My tutor was disheartened at my change of choice but also agreed it was a tough field to stand out in, she was honest and one of my lecturers recommended networking for now to prepare for all eventualities. I just want to make the right choice and make sure my only shot at going to uni is worth it if I choose to go. Seeing members on here struggle to find jobs post degree is really disheartening too, so I'm thinking if I get experience in the field or do an apprenticeship with on the job training could it be a better option. I've applied to a couple of entry level positions too in Law Enforcement Agencies and Forensic Providers but now I'm worried I've made the wrong choice. I do well academically but I also like practical opportunities such as fingerprint developing and such. I'd love to hear how many of you tackled a situation like this and if so if you think you've made the right choice. Many thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by WinterSky12
Hello everyone,
I'm a recent college leaver with a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Forensic Science (D* D* D) and I'm unsure on what to do. I've applied via UCAS for university places but seeing employment prospects in my field and knowing family members who went to uni, I'm unsure of whether to go or not. One of the reasons I'm hesitant to go is the value of credibility in my discipline, and I wouldn't want to be a fresh face out of uni with no experience in the field. I also reviewed the first year spec for all my options and it's just a repackaged version of my past two years worth of study. I also don't want to be in a lab all day doing the same thing day in and out. To combat this I did apply for courses with sandwich years but I'm still worried about experience since many employers require work experience or other recognition of practical experience. Also I put so much effort in that I eventually run out of motivation to carry on through which is also what I'm afraid of doing if I went to uni. I love research too although I'm sick of assignments. Since you learn but sometimes don't apply your knowledge. I've also attended applicant days and met some lovely people and I know the people make it but the value of the degree itself is unsure to me at the moment. My tutor was disheartened at my change of choice but also agreed it was a tough field to stand out in, she was honest and one of my lecturers recommended networking for now to prepare for all eventualities. I just want to make the right choice and make sure my only shot at going to uni is worth it if I choose to go. Seeing members on here struggle to find jobs post degree is really disheartening too, so I'm thinking if I get experience in the field or do an apprenticeship with on the job training could it be a better option. I've applied to a couple of entry level positions too in Law Enforcement Agencies and Forensic Providers but now I'm worried I've made the wrong choice. I do well academically but I also like practical opportunities such as fingerprint developing and such. I'd love to hear how many of you tackled a situation like this and if so if you think you've made the right choice. Many thanks.

My field is a bit different as it's a lot harder to find apprenticeships but I wouldn't say a degree is worthless. If you do a sandwich year some employers (like one who interviewed me) take on graduates who did placements with them.

Make a pros and cons list of going Vs not going to help you decide.
If you changed your mind about your subject there is always clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending