The Student Room Group

Will admission tutor focus on the module that I mention in personal statement?

If I mention one specific module/ a specific unit from the module in my personal statement for academic part e.g how and why does the previous course lead me to choose this course, Will admission tutors check the course description and focus more on the scores of this specific module/unit?

I am afraid they will focus more on the scores of these modules/units because the scores that I got for these are not high so I am afraid that will affect the admission’s decision if I point out the module/unit specifically.
In my experience, (I work in admissions), no, they would not be cross referencing modules you've mentioned in the PS against your transcript. The PS is for demonstrating your interest, not for highlighting strong modules, (although some people may do that as well, because it speaks to their suitability).

The tutor wants you to demonstrate what you found compelling about the module, or how it links to pevious/later study - they've not trying to catch you out.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
In my experience, (I work in admissions), no, they would not be cross referencing modules you've mentioned in the PS against your transcript. The PS is for demonstrating your interest, not for highlighting strong modules, (although some people may do that as well, because it speaks to their suitability).

The tutor wants you to demonstrate what you found compelling about the module, or how it links to pevious/later study - they've not trying to catch you out.

May I know is it a must to mention the reason of taking a gap year in the personal statement? ( I have already finished year one and I quit because of financial reasons)

It is because while my personal statement adviser said I really shouldn’t put the reasons for my gap year or grades in my personal statement, another agent from agency that helps students to study abroad encourages me to put the gap year reason into the statement.

So I am confused about that and I am not sure how does the admission tutors think if I don’t add reason to explain why I take a gap year. My personal statement nearly exceeds the limit so I prefer not to explain the gap year reason. But I don’t know if this will cause any problem when I don’t mention the reason in PS.

Also, is it really not good to mention the grade that I got in the extra curricular activities/ course outside the school in the PS?

Thank you
Original post by Ruby12hty
May I know is it a must to mention the reason of taking a gap year in the personal statement? ( I have already finished year one and I quit because of financial reasons)

It is because while my personal statement adviser said I really shouldn’t put the reasons for my gap year or grades in my personal statement, another agent from agency that helps students to study abroad encourages me to put the gap year reason into the statement.

So I am confused about that and I am not sure how does the admission tutors think if I don’t add reason to explain why I take a gap year. My personal statement nearly exceeds the limit so I prefer not to explain the gap year reason. But I don’t know if this will cause any problem when I don’t mention the reason in PS.

Also, is it really not good to mention the grade that I got in the extra curricular activities/ course outside the school in the PS?

Thank you

If you started elsewhere and withdrew from studies then that must be entered in the education section. Just put 'no grade awarded'.

It's not essential to write about it in your PS, I would only do so if it relates to your suitability or motivation for the new subject. It rarely is, and most applicants don't.

If a uni wants more info about your previous study, they will contact you. In most cases they will just assume that you changed subject, and it is not really of interest or concern to them.

It definitely is of concern if you lie by omission and don't include it in your education history. Unis definitely would care about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending