The Student Room Group

'Giving up' in certain subjects

I am doing 11 GCSEs and am in Y11. I believe that if I were to spend a lot of time revising I could get a grade 9 in English L/L, Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, History, Business Studies and Computer Science.
The only things that are holding me back are Religious Studies and French. I find them extremely difficult and therefore spend a lot of time just revising them more which means I will not do as well in other subjects.
My question is would it look fine to universities/employers to have 9 GCSEs at grades 8-9 or 11 GCSEs at lower grades (which would include a language).
Original post by skp7s
I am doing 11 GCSEs and am in Y11. I believe that if I were to spend a lot of time revising I could get a grade 9 in English L/L, Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, History, Business Studies and Computer Science.
The only things that are holding me back are Religious Studies and French. I find them extremely difficult and therefore spend a lot of time just revising them more which means I will not do as well in other subjects.
My question is would it look fine to universities/employers to have 9 GCSEs at grades 8-9 or 11 GCSEs at lower grades (which would include a language).

Yes! Definitely do dedicate time to studying those subjects weakest at as universities generally look for several subjects being 9-7. I don't remember the exact amount of subjects from this being 9-7 but I think prestigious universities like Oxbridge look for around 7-9 subjects to be in that grade, so definitely do focus on the ones you're struggling in.

Overall, even if you end up getting 6s and potentially a 5, universities would still consider you. For example, let's say you apply to do Maths at University and you got a 6 in RE, they still would take you as RE isn't really relevant to maths.

I hope this helps ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest