The Student Room Group

Nea English Literature - A dolls house

Hi guys, I'm struggling to come up with a question for my NEA. The books I'm comparing are wide sargasso sea and a dolls house. I would appreciate any help.
Reply 1
Original post by suhaasad
Hi guys, I'm struggling to come up with a question for my NEA. The books I'm comparing are wide sargasso sea and a dolls house. I would appreciate any help.

Hi, I'm not sure what exam board you're writing for but I wrote a stand alone essay for wide sargasso sea for my NEA. Having briefly looked at the other text you're comparing it to, I'd say a question based around the patriarchy, through the lens of feminism would be best.
Reply 2
Original post by GemGoth
Hi, I'm not sure what exam board you're writing for but I wrote a stand alone essay for wide sargasso sea for my NEA. Having briefly looked at the other text you're comparing it to, I'd say a question based around the patriarchy, through the lens of feminism would be best.

Hey, I am doing aqa tysm for ur suggestion I honestly am unsure as to how to make that question sound more intelligent and nuanced as my teacher said the question cannot sound too simplistic. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Reply 3
Hey, I am doing aqa tysm for ur suggestion I honestly am unsure as to how to make that question sound more intelligent and nuanced as my teacher said the question cannot sound too simplistic. I would appreciate any suggestions.

That's perfect, I'd suggest something along the lines of "How do Rhys and Ibsen present notions of Identity in their respective texts?" - I'm not too sure on how to word this question because I haven't read the text for the the dolls but discuss both the children's identity and relationship with their mothers affecting their childhood and how they grow up (race, absent mothers etc) and then the mothers' identities too as women who are in patriarchal marriages
Reply 4
Original post by GemGoth
That's perfect, I'd suggest something along the lines of "How do Rhys and Ibsen present notions of Identity in their respective texts?" - I'm not too sure on how to word this question because I haven't read the text for the the dolls but discuss both the children's identity and relationship with their mothers affecting their childhood and how they grow up (race, absent mothers etc) and then the mothers' identities too as women who are in patriarchal marriages

Tysmm for ur help, I really appreciate it.
I'm going to ask my teacher for help as to how to form this into a question.
Reply 5
Tysmm for ur help, I really appreciate it.
I'm going to ask my teacher for help as to how to form this into a question.

No problem, feel free to ask me for any more help when you start writing it too. Don't stress too much about it. Good luck !
Reply 6
Original post by GemGoth
No problem, feel free to ask me for any more help when you start writing it too. Don't stress too much about it. Good luck !

tysmm<33
Reply 7

When comparing "Wide Sargasso Sea" and "A Doll's House," you will have to consider themes such as gender roles, societal expectations, or the portrayal of identity. I suggest these questions:
1. How do the authors of "Wide Sargasso Sea" and "A Doll's House" explore the restrictions of societal prospects on their female protagonists?
2. How does the self-discovery and identity crisis theme manifest in the journeys of Antoinette Cosway and Nora Helmer?
Reply 8
When comparing "Wide Sargasso Sea" and "A Doll's House," you will have to consider themes such as gender roles, societal expectations, or the portrayal of identity. I suggest these questions:
1. How do the authors of "Wide Sargasso Sea" and "A Doll's House" explore the restrictions of societal prospects on their female protagonists?
2. How does the self-discovery and identity crisis theme manifest in the journeys of Antoinette Cosway and Nora Helmer?
My hope is that this helps to potentially kickstart your thought process! In case you have any precise aspects you'd like to investigate further, let me know.
Reply 9
omgg this is so helpful tysmm for ur help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending