The Student Room Group

Study tips

Question for all a level students, since practical subject is all about practising past paper questions as much as you can to be familiar with the way they set set exam questions, what is the best way to study/learn theoretical subjects like business, geography and history?
Original post by ayubameyang
Question for all a level students, since practical subject is all about practising past paper questions as much as you can to be familiar with the way they set set exam questions, what is the best way to study/learn theoretical subjects like business, geography and history?

Hi @ayubameyang

When I studied history for my a levels, I found it best to split my revision into two categories. I had content revision and exam revision.

I would make flashcards, mind maps, etc., and get confident with the content we would learn in class. I would test myself on quick fire facts and make sure I knew key dates, terms, names. I did more of this type of revision at the beginning of my a levels to get familiar with the content.

Then as time went on, I would move on to answering past exam questions in both timed and untimed conditions. I liked to do some questions untimed so that I could create a really in depth answer. But I would also time myself so that I got used to how fast and how much I needed to write in the short amount of time. You may also find it helpful to answer a question with your notes in front of you if you struggle with essay style questions and not the memorizing facts part, so that you can focus on crafting a to-the-point answer and how to format your answers too.

I'm sure some of these tips could also apply to geography and business too.

I hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by ayubameyang

Summarizing textbooks was successful for me to improve understanding and theory.

What this means was reading one topic, then writing a short summary of what I read in my own words (not copying), then rereading the textbook topic.

This method, however, is time consuming and might not work for you.

But it's worth a shot.

Quick Reply

Latest