The Student Room Group

Phone interview or face-to-face?

Hey everyone,

I'm an international student and I applied to Homerton College for Land Economy. I stated in my Overseas Application Form that I would not be able to attend the interview. About a month ago, they emailed me saying I'd be 'disadvantaged' since I did not wish to come for the interview. But they made it pretty clear that they will judge my application WITHOUT an interview. I then had to send in written work (just one essay). On Thursday, I received another email from them. They were wondering whether I'd be interested in giving a phone interview since the admission tutors really wanted to interview me. Asked for a selection of dates and my telephone number. Seems hopeful, no?

Anyway, my father and I discussed it and basically he was like if you're going to give an interview anyway, why don't you go and give it? So I emailed them back saying that I'd love to give a phone interview blah blah, but previously, I said 'no' to the interview since the embassy wasn't issuing visas in my country and because I'm having my midterms from the 1st to the 20th of December. I told them that if it was convenient for them, I could give an in person interview, PROVIDED I get the visa in time. The midterms wouldn't be too much of a problem, since my school will agree to let me resit them in January or something. I sent the email on Thursday night, and it's Monday afternoon now. I'm sorta freaking out because I haven't received a reply as yet :frown:. And I'm scared it may be too late to apply for a visa by the time they send me an invitation (if they wish to).

Anyone else in a similar situation? Anyone heard of Cambridge doing phone interviews?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Yes they do give phone interviews. It sound like its quite a complicated situation so you need to give them time (even though you don't really have it).

edit: oh and I've changed your thread title so its actually related to the thread.
Try giving them a ring directly if you've not heard anything? Usually better than email!
Reply 3
Thank you :smile:.
Heheh quite helpful you are! Sorry, in a bit of a daze.
Reply 4
anna_spanner89
Try giving them a ring directly if you've not heard anything? Usually better than email!

Yeahh I'm considering that, but I don't know, you think I should give them more time? I mean, either way, I'll be having an interview. I hope :/.
Reply 5
I disagree there anna. Cambridge admissions are very good with emails and getting back to people quickly. It's not exactly a 5 minute job to sort this out.
Nina
I disagree there anna. Cambridge admissions are very good with emails and getting back to people quickly. It's not exactly a 5 minute job to sort this out.

Yeah you're right- ive not had any dealings with cambridge from an applicants point of view, I was speaking in general universities! It won't be easy, but maybe some reassurance that they're considering it and sorting it out could be nice?
Reply 7
Do you have any idea how many emails admissions get a day? If they acknowledged every email before a straight reply (especially as its only been one working day) it would take more time than sorting out half the issues. I think some places may send an automated acknowledgement, but that doesn't help really.
Personally speaking I would much rather have a face-to-face interview as opposed to a phone interview. One of the main reasons being that the interviewer doesn't get to see you (likewise you to them) and the way in which you conduct yourself non-verbally.

One boy a few years ago at the school I currently attend had a phone interview, apparently he just lost all composure and seized up :s-smilie: Sorry if that doesn't help your confidence.

The admissions staff at Corpus Christi are fantastic from what I've so far experienced but then again every college is different so I can't really comment there.
Reply 9
i don't really follow your logic.

now you have a phone interview, you know they're interested in you and are considering your application. so why now go to the length of travelling thousands of miles to meet in person when you weren't willing to do so before, when there was the chance that if you didn't, they wouldn't look at your app at all?
Reply 10
I know I know it's an odd situation I've gotten myself into, but previously, I didn't want to go through the hassle of giving the interview :s-smilie:. I never thought I had a chance.. it happens with Cambridge. I never thought they'd ask for a phone interview! Since I'm giving an interview, I'd rather give it face to face. If that makes sense. I'd just be more comfortable.. It's sort of weird on the phone:s-smilie:.
Reply 11
barney90
I know I know it's an odd situation I've gotten myself into, but previously, I didn't want to go through the hassle of giving the interview :s-smilie:. I never thought I had a chance.. it happens with Cambridge. I never thought they'd ask for a phone interview! Since I'm giving an interview, I'd rather give it face to face. If that makes sense. I'd just be more comfortable.. It's sort of weird on the phone:s-smilie:.

Well they have already conducted in person interviews at course and college of yours. I wouldn't put them through the hassle of having to make arrangements for you and just give a phone interview.
Reply 12
poossum
Well they have already conducted in person interviews at course and college of yours. I wouldn't put them through the hassle of having to make arrangements for you and just give a phone interview.

Interviews go on way into December... it won't make much of a difference to the college, since it's only one applicant.
anna_spanner89

Our Admissions Secretary replies to emails the day they're sent 90% of the time, and she particularly asks people not to call in because its much more of an inconvenience for the office.
If someone emails and doesn't hear back, they should assume that they will do when there's an answer available!
Reply 14
Thanks a lot everyone!
I heard from them a few days ago, and they said it's convenient for them to conduct the phone interview. That's been arranged :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending