The Student Room Group

Found dental work experience a bit boring

Hi all,

Did anyone else have this experience when doing work experience? I recently did 2 days of work experience at a community dental clinic. I found the procedures and hands on work to be interesting especially when the dentist explained them.

But at times especially when the dentist was doing admin work I felt incredibly bored, I was just sat there and I couldn't do much (bcs of health & safety). I asked questions which were great but they were very busy when doing admin work & all I could do was observe. Also sometimes it would become pitch silent, I did ask lots of questions but I felt more like a hinderence. Did anyone else have this experience? Is it normal to be bored sometimes during work experience?

Also I did get a quite bored from observing for 8 hours, I feel like if I did the actual work (which IK I cant) I would've been more interested. Is it normal to get bored from standing and observing for 8 hrs? Did any dental students/dentists (or any other professions) have the same experience?
How would you compare observing the work and actually doing it?
(edited 6 months ago)
i don’t think anyone enjoys paperwork/admin work, so it’s normal to be bored

that being said every job has pros and cons and you’re not going to love every single aspect, but definitely consider if you can see yourself doing that job before applying to dentistry
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest