The Student Room Group

advice on a levels

im a year 12 student studying spanish, sociology and English language. However at the start of the year i was doing eng lit + lang combined but i found the lessons boring and changed to criminology bc I loved crime since little but then changed just to English language as I realised that crim is not an actual a level and thought that english lang would be easier than eng lit. But now I feel as if I dislike all my subjects except sociology and wished I done something like applied science as it could’ve let me become a dental hygienist. I am aware that it’s too late to change my subjects and I’ve already changed them twice but I really don’t want to do a third year. Someone please give me advice on what to do.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by spare-lineup
im a year 12 student studying spanish, sociology and English language. However at the start of the year i was doing eng lit + lang combined but i found the lessons boring and changed to criminology bc I loved crime since little but then changed just to English language as I realised that crim is not an actual a level and thought that english lang would be easier than eng lit. But now I feel as if I dislike all my subjects except sociology and wished I done something like applied science as it could’ve let me become a dental hygienist. I am aware that it’s too late to change my subjects and I’ve already changed them twice but I really don’t want to do a third year. Someone please give me advice on what to do.

Hi @spare-lineup,

Is dental hygiene the career path you are absolutely sure on pursuing? If yes, I recommend that you seek out for universities that could cater towards your subjects, however, realistically speaking it's extremely unlikely to pursue a field like that without any sciences. Perhaps, you could consider being a private candidate for applied sciences and study for the subject in your own time to take the exam paper.

Do keep in mind that it would be extremely time consuming and a lot of effort and dedication would be required on your behalf. Self-study does require a lot of hard work, but if becoming a dental hygienist is truly your career aspiration, I don't doubt that you can do it. Seek some advice from your caregivers, and people you care about and hear what input they have.

You can do a bit more research about being a private candidate and see if that's an alternative you're willing to take.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest