The Student Room Group

Does this mean I've got the job?

I was made redundant in June from a business analyst role in which I worked in for 5 years. I took a short holiday after that, I have been applying to some jobs after that and have had a few interviews but with no luck.

Last week I had an interview for software engineer role on a 18 month contract at my local police station.

The manager for the role got back in touch with me a few days after and said that i don't have the exact skills to get started straightaway as it's only for 18 months the role doesn't have much time to be trained up in as it covers a wide range of services, however she told me about an upcoming role in the same team which she feels my skills are more aligned with. Its a similar role and is a 2 year contract so there is more time to learn on the job and it covers less wide projects.

She told me that I will need to go through the application and interview process again, but she has asked me to get in touch if I have any questions. The talent acquisition lead/internal recruiter emailed me the link to the role 2 weeks ago and he said 'we have to be fair and advertise this to everyone, but we would really like you to apply for this role' so I have applied for it.

The job post closed last week, and this week I got an email from the manager of the role saying the following: 'Just wanted to email so you don’t think we have forgotten lots of folks off sick, or on leave at the moment.

You will be asked to come for interview and probably week of Nov 13th - date tbc 😊 HR will be in touch'

What does it mean if a potential employer says that?
Original post by Fazersa
I was made redundant in June from a business analyst role in which I worked in for 5 years. I took a short holiday after that, I have been applying to some jobs after that and have had a few interviews but with no luck.

Last week I had an interview for software engineer role on a 18 month contract at my local police station.

The manager for the role got back in touch with me a few days after and said that i don't have the exact skills to get started straightaway as it's only for 18 months the role doesn't have much time to be trained up in as it covers a wide range of services, however she told me about an upcoming role in the same team which she feels my skills are more aligned with. Its a similar role and is a 2 year contract so there is more time to learn on the job and it covers less wide projects.

She told me that I will need to go through the application and interview process again, but she has asked me to get in touch if I have any questions. The talent acquisition lead/internal recruiter emailed me the link to the role 2 weeks ago and he said 'we have to be fair and advertise this to everyone, but we would really like you to apply for this role' so I have applied for it.

The job post closed last week, and this week I got an email from the manager of the role saying the following: 'Just wanted to email so you don’t think we have forgotten lots of folks off sick, or on leave at the moment.

You will be asked to come for interview and probably week of Nov 13th - date tbc 😊 HR will be in touch'

What does it mean if a potential employer says that?

It means you can expect to be invited to interview for this role. You haven't got the job at this point. It's for a publicly funded post (Police Force) so they will have to go through the complete hiring process.
In general don't assume you "have the job" until you sign the contract!
Reply 3
It’s as they say, they will be inviting you to an interview in that week. You haven’t been offered the role yet, but hit the right note at the interview and reading between the lines you’ve a good chance of a offer
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
It’s as they say, they will be inviting you to an interview in that week. You haven’t been offered the role yet, but hit the right note at the interview and reading between the lines you’ve a good chance of a offer

yeah agreed, while you haven't received the offer yet, but to get to this stage again after already going through the application process is a good sign that you're a good contender. It's likely this last interview will be to get to know you and your skills better, and maybe to provide more info about the role. I'd ask questions at this interview to get more info and to show you're interested in the job. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending