The Student Room Group

I think I’ve got body dysmorphia..

Not that it takes over my entire life, no actually it kind of does but I’m able to forget about it for a little while. Is there a solution to it? I’ve had talking therapy through the nhs in the past for my eating habits and anxiety and even spoke to a dietitian and they honestly didn’t work so any tips guysss?
Original post by Anonymous
Not that it takes over my entire life, no actually it kind of does but I’m able to forget about it for a little while. Is there a solution to it? I’ve had talking therapy through the nhs in the past for my eating habits and anxiety and even spoke to a dietitian and they honestly didn’t work so any tips guysss?

Hi,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. I have a friend who used to experience similar situations, and was unsure of how to manage their habits and anxiety. But they did adopt certain changes in their life that allowed them to cope their emotions better.

They found that joining a support group with individuals that experienced similar issues, allowed them to share their situation in a safe space whilst understanding learning new coping strategies amongst each other. Support groups also help to reduce any emotions of shame and isolation, an open space with no judgement. An additional suggestion I hope you find useful, is perhaps if you could develop a self-care routine. Take parts in activities or steps that promote wellbeing, or anything that helps increase your confidence. Skincare, meditation, exercise, are all great examples of this.

I'm proud of you for asking for help. It takes a lot of courage to seek for support to regain control of your life. Remember that you're not alone, and many others experience similar struggles.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest