The Student Room Group

further maths a-level

im doing chem , bio , maths for a-level , however ive realized quite late (3rd month of yr 12 ) that i am not interested whatsover in going into medicine. Ive decided i want to do further maths to have an advantage for other courses (like comp-sci) at universities like imperial , cambridge , ucl e.t.c . However my school dosent offer it , can someone pls tell me if it is possible to sit the paper seperately in yr 13 and if it is manageable without a teacher.
Reply 1
Original post by alinara
im doing chem , bio , maths for a-level , however ive realized quite late (3rd month of yr 12 ) that i am not interested whatsover in going into medicine. Ive decided i want to do further maths to have an advantage for other courses (like comp-sci) at universities like imperial , cambridge , ucl e.t.c . However my school dosent offer it , can someone pls tell me if it is possible to sit the paper seperately in yr 13 and if it is manageable without a teacher.

I was in your same situation - it is manageable without a teacher if you put in the work. I used youtubers like Bicen Maths for CP1 and CP2 for Edexcel FM and Hinds Maths for other modules to teach myself and I'm now predicted an A* :smile: Just make the notes, then do as many practise Qs as you can

To sit the paper seperately you may have to be an external student although I'm not an expert on this so I can't offer much advice. Maybe ask your school to give you some tests to give you a predicted grade at the end of y12 or early y13?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yzven
I was in your same situation - it is manageable without a teacher if you put in the work. I used youtubers like Bicen Maths for CP1 and CP2 for Edexcel FM and Hinds Maths for other modules to teach myself and I'm now predicted an A* :smile: Just make the notes, then do as many practise Qs as you can

To sit the paper seperately you may have to be an external student although I'm not an expert on this so I can't offer much advice. Maybe ask your school to give you some tests to give you a predicted grade at the end of y12 or early y13?

Thank you so much for the reply ( i was really stressing about this lol) . I certainly will ask them, but may I ask how many hours a day did you commit to revision and what are the best modules to take?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alinara
Thank you so much for the reply ( i was really stressing about this lol) . I certainly will ask them, but may I ask how many hours a day did you commit for revision and what are the best modules to take?

No problem, honestly I'm not sure but roughly maybe 2-3 hours a day, but I can't tell you for sure and don't want to put you off it. It wasn't even that much of a chore, since it made me enjoy maths even more for some reason (also got much better at it).

I take FM1 and FS1 and I recommend these - there are lots of resources on these and they're very doable. I recommend not to take the '2' modules in Edexcel eg FM2 as they are often harder, building on the previous module, and tend to have less resources. If you're strong on pure, FP1 looks really good too ngl. You mentioned doing comp sci too so maybe take Decision 1 over FM1 or something if u prefer the comp sci maths, although it is very different to the maths you have done so far and there are fewer resources I think.

Quick Reply

Latest