The Student Room Group

A- Level Maths Tips? How do you stop making silly mistakes in A-Level Maths?

Hi, I am currently in Year 12 and I am currently doing Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Further Maths. In my current assessments, I have been getting A's and B's but I am doing the actual exam at the end of academic year so I aim to achieve A* in my assesments. I have lost so much marks from making silly mistakes and this has stopped me from achieving A*. Can people give me some tips to help me stop making silly mistakes in A-Level Maths? Also, could you please recommend some resources for A-Level Maths so that I can practice further and consolidate my knowledge?
Reply 1
Partially depends on the type of question, but the usual stuff like

forwards - guestimate the answer and check yours roughly matches

backwards - sub your answer back into the original "equation" and check it satisfies it

read questions carefully and underline stuff / sketch the basic problem as a way of making sure youre starting in the right place

reflect on the mistakes you make and try and understand why you madethemt. If you make a mistake do the question (or a few similar ones) in a week or so

do some regular practice on topics youve previously covered, so use something like dr frost to compile and chug through the questions

practice on harder questions than you might expect in the tests

Quick Reply

Latest