The Student Room Group

Don’t know what to do about my A-levels

Hi,

I have just started year 12 and I dread going into I school everyday.
I take 4 subjects: Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Spanish.
My first set of grades were not very good.
These were the grades:
Biology - E
Chemistry - D
English Literature - B
Spanish - A

Therefore the school suggested I should drop 1. However, I really do not want to drop one and I think that I will eventually find a way to raise these grades.

However, my point is I feel so stressed out nowadays because I am not understanding anything (especially in Chemistry) and because of this I resort to crying instead of revising.
Today I had a test in Chemistry, and I am now feeling severely demotivated. I’m pretty sure I missed out on 15 marks because I ran out of time. This has never happened to me before as I mainly found Chemistry to be quite easy at GCSE.
However, there is pressure for me to do well on this test as I have another meeting in December to discuss my options again. But knowing how I performed today I know that I have failed. I don’t like either of my teachers and I don’t know what to do. I know my parents will be upset because they are expecting me to do well on this test considering how the last one went but I feel as if I have done even worse.

My question is: What can I do to stop stressing out so much? How can I improve my grades so that the school stops questioning my decision to take 4 a levels? How will I handle my parents’ inevitable disappointment?
Reply 1
Original post by Quevoyahacer
Hi,

I have just started year 12 and I dread going into I school everyday.
I take 4 subjects: Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Spanish.
My first set of grades were not very good.
These were the grades:
Biology - E
Chemistry - D
English Literature - B
Spanish - A

Therefore the school suggested I should drop 1. However, I really do not want to drop one and I think that I will eventually find a way to raise these grades.

However, my point is I feel so stressed out nowadays because I am not understanding anything (especially in Chemistry) and because of this I resort to crying instead of revising.
Today I had a test in Chemistry, and I am now feeling severely demotivated. I’m pretty sure I missed out on 15 marks because I ran out of time. This has never happened to me before as I mainly found Chemistry to be quite easy at GCSE.
However, there is pressure for me to do well on this test as I have another meeting in December to discuss my options again. But knowing how I performed today I know that I have failed. I don’t like either of my teachers and I don’t know what to do. I know my parents will be upset because they are expecting me to do well on this test considering how the last one went but I feel as if I have done even worse.

My question is: What can I do to stop stressing out so much? How can I improve my grades so that the school stops questioning my decision to take 4 a levels? How will I handle my parents’ inevitable disappointment?

Drop one. You’ll feel 100x better and have more time to get the 3 up. 4 is useless
Reply 2
Original post by rjdjsbs
Drop one. You’ll feel 100x better and have more time to get the 3 up. 4 is useless

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am not sure which one to drop though as I am enjoying them all at the moment but I will give it some thought.
Reply 3
Original post by Quevoyahacer
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am not sure which one to drop though as I am enjoying them all at the moment but I will give it some thought.

Keep the subjects with A and B of course.

Consider between the E or D

Quick Reply

Latest