The Student Room Group

Cambridge interview rejection

got an email from cambridge today saying i didnt get an interview for natsci

i have only 8s and 9s at gcse
predicted 3A*s and an A at a level
came runner up in an essay competition
did 2 summer schools ( one at cambridge)
highest biology score in the year at mocks (mentioned in teacher reference)
mentioned 2 books and 2 online courses and a work experience and a crest award project in my personal statement.

i kinda just dont understand what else i could have done to atleast get an interview since i heard that most ppl who apply get interviewed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really sorry to hear that. You have amazing stats so could it be the results of the nsaa? How do you think that went? Which college were you applying for? I know it’s disappointing but you will have a great time at another university and they will be lucky to have you. Have you heard from your other choices yet?
Reply 2
Original post by MeddygMam
Really sorry to hear that. You have amazing stats so could it be the results of the nsaa? How do you think that went? Which college were you applying for? I know it’s disappointing but you will have a great time at another university and they will be lucky to have you. Have you heard from your other choices yet?

i applied to selwyn and i guess the nsaa could have gone better but everyone else who did it also said that so i didnt think it went that bad as to not even get an interview.
i have an offer from exeter so its not too bad but i was definitely hoping for an interview considering they give them to about 80% of applicants
Very strange. Maybe Wait to see NSaa results?
Original post by yanaminkova

mentioned 2 books and 2 online courses and a work experience and a crest award project in my personal statement.

i kinda just dont understand what else i could have done to atleast get an interview since i heard that most ppl who apply get interviewed.

out of curiosity do you go to a private or state school? and your general background?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #3
out of curiosity do you go to a private or state school? and your general background?

i go to a state school.
Reply 6

Sorry to hear that. Can I ask what alevels you did?
Reply 7
Original post by Fionn10
Sorry to hear that. Can I ask what alevels you did?

bio chem maths and english literature
Except the unknown nsaa, can not think out of any reason you can not get an interview.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #2
Except the unknown nsaa, can not think out of any reason you can not get an interview.

Its just that everyone says that even if you do badly in the nsaa you can still get an offer if every other part of you application is strong like the interview but i didnt even get one so it feels like i cant even show them everything that ive got because i got rejected at such an early stage and idk why
Yea, Had 3 A* predicted and had a good personal statement (already offered places for my 3 of my 4 unis, with one being Warwick) so I know I didn't write absolute garbage and had lots of supercurriculars. I did the ENGAA and though I did decent, could of done better but definitely feel I did around average at that and rejected pre-interview however I did apply to Trinity so I guess didn't help. My GCSEs aren't great but it has to be due to my AA, can't see what else. Must of done worse on it than I thought.
Reply 11

Surprising. Your grades are great so it could only be your nsaa, personal statement, teachers references, or some combination of them. I don’t believe summer schools make any difference, particularly the ones you pay for (if that was the case with yours). Competition if fierce, so all aspects of your application might have been good, just maybe not quite as good as the others that have been shortlisted. Still surprising though.
Original post by Anonymous #4
Yea, Had 3 A* predicted and had a good personal statement (already offered places for my 3 of my 4 unis, with one being Warwick) so I know I didn't write absolute garbage and had lots of supercurriculars. I did the ENGAA and though I did decent, could of done better but definitely feel I did around average at that and rejected pre-interview however I did apply to Trinity so I guess didn't help. My GCSEs aren't great but it has to be due to my AA, can't see what else. Must of done worse on it than I thought.

wow, sorry to hear that. May I ask when did you receive the notification?? I also applied to engineering at trinity and they haven't even send me anything yet...
Original post by Chromsomes__XY
wow, sorry to hear that. May I ask when did you receive the notification?? I also applied to engineering at trinity and they haven't even send me anything yet...

20th November 11:47, seems like lots of people got theirs today and Trinity seems to be super competitive this year so good luck of your application!
Original post by Anonymous #4
20th November 11:47, seems like lots of people got theirs today and Trinity seems to be super competitive this year so good luck of your application!

Thanks for your kind wish! Hope your application for other universities go well!
That’s so strange because I haven’t received anything yet… btw when did you put in your application? Was it very early compared to the October deadline? Do you know anybody who haven’t received anything yet?
Thanks for your kind wish! Hope your application for other universities go well!
That’s so strange because I haven’t received anything yet… btw when did you put in your application? Was it very early compared to the October deadline? Do you know anybody who haven’t received anything yet?

I sent mine on October 15th so no not too early, just before the deadline. Don’t really know anyone in my school who applied to Trinity or Cambridge at that but seems like others on student room received all of theirs yesterday.
Reply 16

Someone else got an invite for Engineering at Trinity this morning according to the offer spreadsheet on the other thread. They look genuine. I think you will get a decision today if you have not already. Best of luck.
Original post by lalexm
Someone else got an invite for Engineering at Trinity this morning according to the offer spreadsheet on the other thread. They look genuine. I think you will get a decision today if you have not already. Best of luck.

Lol I just received an invite this morning too, luckily 🫡
Reply 18
Lol I just received an invite this morning too, luckily 🫡

nice. congrats.

tight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending