The Student Room Group

Which uni should i choose as a insurance option?

Hello guys! Just started my year 13 and i got A*AA predicted in Math, Computer Science and Physics respectively. Looking for a good insurance option for computer science. I don't think i will get lower than AAB/ABB in A-Levels.
Reply 1
Are you eligible for contextual offers?
Reply 2
(Original post by ajj2000)Are you eligible for contextual offers?

I' not really sure, I know that I'm eligible to pay home fees because I moved from Ukraine by my own. I moved here in the middle of Year 12, and I got lucky that one school accepted my application in the middle of the year. I still got 3 A's tho.
Reply 3
You can look for this online very easily - ie. a sensible University that requires ABB or BBB.

And you can always add your final UCAS course choice later if you cant decide on a safety choice right now.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
You can look for this online very easily - ie. a sensible University that requires ABB or BBB.

And you can always add your final UCAS course choice later if you cant decide on a safety choice right now.

I know, but I only have one month left as I am going to apply for early entry(
Reply 5
Original post by jadoremath
(Original post by ajj2000)Are you eligible for contextual offers?

I' not really sure, I know that I'm eligible to pay home fees because I moved from Ukraine by my own. I moved here in the middle of Year 12, and I got lucky that one school accepted my application in the middle of the year. I still got 3 A's tho.

Do you get free school meals? I believe many Ukrainian's that come over do receive free school meals, but don't want to make any assumptions. For example, for Birmingham Maths, the usual offer is AAA, but if you have received free school meals in the last 6 years, you will get a contextual offer, which will be AAB, so hence might be a good insurance.

I believe most/all unis use free school meals as a criterial for contextual offers.
Reply 6

Early entry?

But you don't have to submit all 5 choices at the same time. Apply to Oxford/Cambridge and 2-3 others initially then add your "insurance" choice when you are ready, but before the equal consideration deadline.
Reply 9
Hello guys! Just started my year 13 and i got A*AA predicted in Math, Computer Science and Physics respectively. Looking for a good insurance option for computer science. I don't think i will get lower than AAB/ABB in A-Levels.

Congratulations on your predicted grades! Choosing an insurance option for your university applications is a wise strategy. Here's how you can approach it:

1.Check University Entry Requirements: Look for computer science courses at universities you're interested in as your firm choice. Then, research their typical entry requirements. Your insurance choice should have lower requirements than your firm choice.
2.Consider Lower Entry Requirements: Based on your prediction of A*AA, you should aim for a university that typically requires AAB/ABB for computer science as their standard offer. This way, you have a good chance of meeting the conditions even if you don't achieve your predicted grades.
3.Check the League Tables: Look at university league tables and student satisfaction ratings. This can give you a sense of the quality of education and campus life at your potential insurance choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending