The Student Room Group

What can you expect from a CPS Pupillage?

Hi! From a future CPS pupil who is super excited, to those current and past CPS pupils, what can I expect from the CPS pupillage?

I guess my main questions are:

- Is there the chance to observe appeals in the Court of Appeal?
- Could you go to the Old Bailey (if perhaps get lucky) to observe?
- Do you get to take on any Crown Court work in the second six, however minor?
- What secondments could you do?

Thank you!
Original post by IHatePaperSifts
Hi! From a future CPS pupil who is super excited, to those current and past CPS pupils, what can I expect from the CPS pupillage?
I guess my main questions are:
- Is there the chance to observe appeals in the Court of Appeal?
- Could you go to the Old Bailey (if perhaps get lucky) to observe?
- Do you get to take on any Crown Court work in the second six, however minor?
- What secondments could you do?
Thank you!

Hi @IHatePaperSifts

These are great questions! Pupil barristers on our legal trainee scheme benefit from a comprehensive training plan, and are guaranteed a role as a crown prosecutor upon successful completion. There's some brilliant insight from current pupils on YouTube - take a look at this video from Ibrahim Ibrahim: Legal Trainee (youtube.com)

Is there the chance to observe appeals in the Court of Appeal? potentially, it depends on which unit you're based in and what work your supervisor does - some of our trainees have had this opportunity so it is possible.

Could you go to the Old Bailey to observe? again this could potentially happen and many of our trainees have been to the Old Bailey.

Do you get to take on any Crown Court work in the second six, however minor? yes our pupils get to deal with a wide range of cases in the Crown Court in their second six, under supervision.

What secondments could you do? - it's not essential for pupils to spend any time outside CPS. However, we do recommend 4 weeks in chambers during the non-practising period to gain experience of the self-employed Bar and to understand how sets of chambers and clerking arrangements work. Trainee solicitors are required to undergo at least one secondment of 3-4 months within their 24-month training period. We advise that this should be in an area of law separate to Criminal Law.

Let me know if you have any more questions 🙂
Jade - CPS recruitment team
(edited 11:08)
Original post by JadeCPS
Hi @IHatePaperSifts
These are great questions! Pupil barristers on our legal trainee scheme benefit from a comprehensive training plan, and are guaranteed a role as a crown prosecutor upon successful completion. There's some brilliant insight from current pupils on YouTube - take a look at this video from Ibrahim Ibrahim: Legal Trainee (youtube.com)
Is there the chance to observe appeals in the Court of Appeal? potentially, it depends on which unit you're based in and what work your supervisor does - some of our trainees have had this opportunity so it is possible.
Could you go to the Old Bailey to observe? again this could potentially happen and many of our trainees have been to the Old Bailey.
Do you get to take on any Crown Court work in the second six, however minor? yes our pupils get to deal with a wide range of cases in the Crown Court in their second six, under supervision.
What secondments could you do? - it's not essential for pupils to spend any time outside CPS. However, we do recommend 4 weeks in chambers during the non-practising period to gain experience of the self-employed Bar and to understand how sets of chambers and clerking arrangements work. Trainee solicitors are required to undergo at least one secondment of 3-4 months within their 24-month training period. We advise that this should be in an area of law separate to Criminal Law.

Hi @JadeCPS - that’s really fantastic. Thank you so much for answering. It makes me even more excited!

Do you know when pre-employment checks will start and what the likely start date is in September?

Thank you!
Original post by JadeCPS
Hi @IHatePaperSifts

Thank you so much @JadeCPS this makes me even more excited!

Just two more questions from me.

Do you know when pre-employment will start in May?

Do you know if there is a rough start date for this September? (Hopefully at the start of September! 😄)
(edited 12:41)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending