The Student Room Group

Will this count as plagiarism if I put it into my personal statement

This might sound really stupid but…I recently found a YouTube video explaining a book that I’ve read for my law personal statement. I’ve already read the book and put my ideas into my personal statement. However this person had such great ideas and phrases. Is it okay if I use like one or two of his sentences, obviously he spoke it out, but is there any of UCAS knowing and plagiarizing this? I’ve basically done my personal statement but I really want to add this. Thank you.
Reply 1
Nahhh I don’t think it’s that serious lol.. and they get thousands of personal statements so they ain’t gonna scan every one of them for plagiarism. Just make sure it’s not evident.
Reply 2
One or two sentences from a video should be OK but maybe change a few words to be on the safe side.
Original post by Glablele
This might sound really stupid but…I recently found a YouTube video explaining a book that I’ve read for my law personal statement. I’ve already read the book and put my ideas into my personal statement. However this person had such great ideas and phrases. Is it okay if I use like one or two of his sentences, obviously he spoke it out, but is there any of UCAS knowing and plagiarizing this? I’ve basically done my personal statement but I really want to add this. Thank you.

Using someone else's phrases IS plagiarism.

It might not be picked up by UCAS (but it might be if either: a) some other applicants have done the same thing or b) there's a transcript of the videos that can be searched by search engines).

I personally wouldn't risk it. Even if it doesn't get picked up then using someone else's phrases and opinions on the book isn't personal and is likely to come across to admissions staff who read hundreds of PSs as pretty boring.
Original post by ToGodly
Nahhh I don’t think it’s that serious lol.. and they get thousands of personal statements so they ain’t gonna scan every one of them for plagiarism. Just make sure it’s not evident.

it definitely is that serious… they scan every personal statement and if it’s over a certain percentage matched to anything, you will be rejected instantly. if you use quotation marks it’s fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending