The Student Room Group

AI Detection on Personal Statement

I've just finished my personal statement and ready to submit but decided to put it in an AI detector just by chance to see whether I write AI like and it came up with around like 21% AI detection? I'm not sure how to feel about this considering I genuinely wrote it all myself with a week in the making and I don't see how I could write a better version in the time I have left (Internal Deadline of 30th Oct). Is this a major problem?
Original post by MJK1111
I've just finished my personal statement and ready to submit but decided to put it in an AI detector just by chance to see whether I write AI like and it came up with around like 21% AI detection? I'm not sure how to feel about this considering I genuinely wrote it all myself with a week in the making and I don't see how I could write a better version in the time I have left (Internal Deadline of 30th Oct). Is this a major problem?

It's only a problem for the AI detector you were using, which is clearly not terribly accurate. For you, it won't be an issue.
Reply 2
Running your PS through ANY third-party website is a very silly thing to do.

These sort of websites 'harvest' material, and it gets republished/reused it all over the place.
The chances of your PS now being picked up by the UCAS plagiarism checker is now very high.

Please, please don't do this folks!
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger

These sort of websites 'harvest' material, and it gets republished/reused it all over the place.
The chances of your PS now being picked up by the UCAS plagiarism checker is now very high.

Is there any validity behind this? The ones I've used state they don't store data in any public or private databases.
Reply 4
Original post by MJK1111
The ones I've used state they don't store data in any public or private databases.

They would say that wouldn't they - and you have no way of checking.
How else do you think they make enough money to run the website.
Original post by MJK1111
Is there any validity behind this? The ones I've used state they don't store data in any public or private databases.

It's the same rules on here, if you post your PS you've effectively published it and it will be flagged, most importantly you've lost control of it.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger

Is this true??? I put my PS into a couple AI detectors just to see if my writing is similar to AI... I didn't know this!!!!! I'm really anxious now, will I need to rewrite /rephrase my statement now??
Original post by al3xa
Is this true??? I put my PS into a couple AI detectors just to see if my writing is similar to AI... I didn't know this!!!!! I'm really anxious now, will I need to rewrite /rephrase my statement now??

It's most likely not needed to redo it, but it was an uncessary risk as now you don't know if a copy has been retained.

Advice to all readers: If it's all your own work, there is no need to submit to a plagiarism/AI similarity checker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending