The Student Room Group

feeling guilty about growing up

i don't know why i feel like this. when i put makeup on it feels so wrong and i try to hide it from my mum because i don't want her to have to face that i'm growing up. when people talk about relationships or parties i feel like i should leave the room because i shouldn't be listening to this, as if hearing people talk about 'grown-up' things is going to make me grow up too. i'm about to turn 18 but don't watch r15 movies with my parents because it feels wrong and i would just feel guilty doing it. i put on a bit of an act around my parents to seem more immature and childish. my parents are strict but not crazy strict, my mum even suggested we go to a bar when i turn 18, but i would feel so disgusted with myself and guilty for letting myself act my age. is this a universal feeling
Reply 1
I don't think it's a universal feeling, tbh. Would you feel comfortable talking to your parents about how you are feeling?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
i don't know why i feel like this. when i put makeup on it feels so wrong and i try to hide it from my mum because i don't want her to have to face that i'm growing up. when people talk about relationships or parties i feel like i should leave the room because i shouldn't be listening to this, as if hearing people talk about 'grown-up' things is going to make me grow up too. i'm about to turn 18 but don't watch r15 movies with my parents because it feels wrong and i would just feel guilty doing it. i put on a bit of an act around my parents to seem more immature and childish. my parents are strict but not crazy strict, my mum even suggested we go to a bar when i turn 18, but i would feel so disgusted with myself and guilty for letting myself act my age. is this a universal feeling

as an 18 yo, i get what ur talking about. Dw about it too much.
Original post by black tea
I don't think it's a universal feeling, tbh. Would you feel comfortable talking to your parents about how you are feeling?

I disagree, maybe exactly what the OP commented isn't 100% relatable, however I think being scared of growing up is a universal feeling, I don't think anyone wants to deal with the responsibilities and duties that come with being a grown up and adulting in itself can be quite intimidating. If I had the possibility to I would stay as a child forever so I could hold onto my joy and innocence for as long as possible, so it makes sense as to why the OP would want to be in denial about adulting and why the OP is scared of growing up and fearful of the duties and hardships that come with adulthood.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest