The Student Room Group

How to become dsl

Does anyone have any tips on how to get into safeguarding roles within a school I am in sixth form but I really want to become safeguarding do I need to be a teacher or have experience in a school?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by N478
Does anyone have any tips on how to get into safeguarding roles within a school?

Hi @N478

I'm not too sure how it all works, but I do have a friend who recently became a DSL in their school. One of the things they did was sign up for short courses and training days about safeguarding. I think it really depends on the school; either they send you on training because they need more DSLs, or if you demonstrate a desire to become a DSL then they will help you achieve this.
But if this is something you are really interested in, then I would definitely start with talking to the current DSLs and the Head Teacher at your school.

Hope this helps:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @N478

I'm not too sure how it all works, but I do have a friend who recently became a DSL in their school. One of the things they did was sign up for short courses and training days about safeguarding. I think it really depends on the school; either they send you on training because they need more DSLs, or if you demonstrate a desire to become a DSL then they will help you achieve this.
But if this is something you are really interested in, then I would definitely start with talking to the current DSLs and the Head Teacher at your school.

Hope this helps:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Thank you I am currently in sixth form but I’m really interested in safeguarding roles but I’m not sure whether or not I would need to become a teacher beforehand
Original post by N478
Thank you I am currently in sixth form but I’m really interested in safeguarding roles but I’m not sure whether or not I would need to become a teacher beforehand

Hi @N478

Oh okay I see. Yes, I do believe you would need some sort of qualifications relating specifically to safeguarding.

Within primary schools, it is normally the Teachers or Teaching Assistants who are the DSLs. However, it is very common in secondary schools for pastoral staff to have no teaching qualifications, so this could be something to look into. Search for current pastoral vacancies and have a look at the qualifications/criteria; this could be a good starting point.

If there is a careers advisor at your sixth form, then I would discuss this with them too. It is great that you already have a plan in mind for your career!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @N478

Oh okay I see. Yes, I do believe you would need some sort of qualifications relating specifically to safeguarding.

Within primary schools, it is normally the Teachers or Teaching Assistants who are the DSLs. However, it is very common in secondary schools for pastoral staff to have no teaching qualifications, so this could be something to look into. Search for current pastoral vacancies and have a look at the qualifications/criteria; this could be a good starting point.

If there is a careers advisor at your sixth form, then I would discuss this with them too. It is great that you already have a plan in mind for your career!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Ok thank you so much I am looking into working either in secondary/college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending