The Student Room Group

A-level Arabic (Edexcel)

Hi guys, I’m taking A level arabic as a private candidate. Since I don’t have a teacher, which literary text will be easier to study on my own? Al Bakhila Play or A sparrow from the East? Also, how do I do the research question?
Reply 1
Sparrow from the East is definitely the more memorable one and the questions tend to be a lot easier than al bakhila and the larvae catcher.
For the film do wajda, as it's the most recent and modern one so is the easiest to understand and write about.
For the research question you do research on any arab country. This section is split into four: tourism, ethnic minorities, festivals and cultural norms. You do research into one of the sub sections and then apply it to the country you are researching (e.g. tourism in Egypt or ethnic minorities in iraq). I'd recommend researching about 2 subsections but one country just in case the questions for one of the subsections is too difficult, you can do the other one.
Have a look at some past papers to understand the exam structure more!
(edited 3 days ago)
Reply 2
Original post by marie277
Sparrow from the East is definitely the more memorable one and the questions tend to be a lot easier than al bakhila and the larvae catcher.
For the film do wajda, as it's the most recent and modern one so is the easiest to understand and write about.
For the research question you do research on any arab country. This section is split into four: tourism, ethnic minorities, festivals and cultural norms. You do research into one of the sub sections and then apply it to the country you are researching (e.g. tourism in Egypt or ethnic minorities in iraq). I'd recommend researching about 2 subsections but one country just in case the questions for one of the subsections is too difficult, you can do the other one.
Have a look at some past papers to understand the exam structure more!

Thank you so much for replying! Do you mind also sharing a bit about the listening section?
So sorry completely forgot to respond! With the listening have a look at the spec and go to the themes and sub themes section and those are the topics they can ask you about - you will typically be given an mp3 or a laptop so you can go through the audio at your own pace. Have a look at some past papers and make sure you give yourself some time before answering to read the question first so you can answer a little quicker.

Also you cannot copy word for word what the audio is saying in some parts so make sure you're listening out and try to reword some bits to maximise marks. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by marie277
So sorry completely forgot to respond! With the listening have a look at the spec and go to the themes and sub themes section and those are the topics they can ask you about - you will typically be given an mp3 or a laptop so you can go through the audio at your own pace. Have a look at some past papers and make sure you give yourself some time before answering to read the question first so you can answer a little quicker.
Also you cannot copy word for word what the audio is saying in some parts so make sure you're listening out and try to reword some bits to maximise marks. Best of luck :smile:

Haha I ended up going with a different spec so the listening part doesn’t apply, thank you though!

Quick Reply

Latest