The Student Room Group

I'm really struggerling to write my UCAS statement. Can anybody help me, please?

I am applying to do the BSC in mental health nursing for 2024/2025. How bad would it be to say that I started learning more about mental health, due to wanting to find out about my own mental health. As I began to explore my own mental illness I began to learn about other people's experiences with a variety of mental illnesses, including those less common than mine. I learnt about these mainly by watching YouTube videos. I feel like I shouldn't mention YouTube, right?
hmm yeah, maybe if you've read any books you could mention that, you don't really have to go into depth you could just say smth like
"my interest began when i began exploring my own mental health through researching and reading {book}"
Reply 2
Try listening to some of these podcasts and picking several topics that interest you : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qxx9/episodes/player

Any discussion of your own MH issues looks self-interested / self- indulgent - not a quality to recommend you for any nursing degree.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Try listening to some of these podcasts and picking several topics that interest you : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qxx9/episodes/player

Any discussion of your own MH issues looks self-interested / self- indulgent - not a quality to recommend you for any nursing degree.

I mean, I've asked several people about mentioning my own mental health, and you're the only one that's said that.

I haven't done much with my life, because I've been unwell for a very long time. I would research about my own mental illness, because I couldn't get help, and I was trying to fix myself.
Reply 4
Original post by KeziaF
I mean, I've asked several people about mentioning my own mental health, and you're the only one that's said that.

I haven't done much with my life, because I've been unwell for a very long time. I would research about my own mental illness, because I couldn't get help, and I was trying to fix myself.

I wanted to help people the way I've been helped, including those with more severe illness than my own. I don't think that makes me a bad person.
Reply 5
They are looking for your motivation to stat a demanding healthcare course - and career.
Not how you sorted your own head out. Sorry to be a bit direct, but you do have to shift your gaze a bit here - it isnt about you.
And if it is, then look at another degree/career.
I think the key thing to remember is that the main outcome of the degree is you are going to be caring for others with mental health issues - sometimes quite severe. I understand it's very different to care for strangers with these problems than your family (and certainly yourself!). So I think that's important to remember :smile:

Have you done any work experience yet? If not I would definitely recommend trying to line something up in a caring role/environment so you can get some first-hand experience with working with other peoples (mental) health.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
I think the key thing to remember is that the main outcome of the degree is you are going to be caring for others with mental health issues - sometimes quite severe. I understand it's very different to care for strangers with these problems than your family (and certainly yourself!). So I think that's important to remember :smile:

Have you done any work experience yet? If not I would definitely recommend trying to line something up in a caring role/environment so you can get some first-hand experience with working with other peoples (mental) health.

It's extremely difficult to get first-hand experience to do with mental health without having any qualifications.
Reply 8
Original post by KeziaF
It's extremely difficult to get first-hand experience to do with mental health without having any qualifications.

Volunteer work in a care-home, special school or any other 'caring environment' is relevant.
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
Volunteer work in a care-home, special school or any other 'caring environment' is relevant.

I've worked in a care home, but that was six years ago. I'm a mature student. Our UCAS statements also have to be sent off by the 24th of November, so I don't have much time. Its the rules of our college. We don't get the January deadline. I've got to send off for my provisional licence this week too, so I need to wait for that, before I start volunteering. I have got a voluntary role as a befriender, that should start as soon as I've got my provisional back and DBS.

I've applied to other voluntary roles, and care jobs, but I've had no luck.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by KeziaF

It doesn't necessarily need to be mental health - as above, experience in a caring role in whatever capacity is valuable :smile:

Also worth bearing in mind often mental health matters will crop up in the context of other caring roles (for example in a care home some patients may have dementia).

You can also try volunteering with a charity like mind or something like that!
Reply 11
Original post by artful_lounger
It doesn't necessarily need to be mental health - as above, experience in a caring role in whatever capacity is valuable :smile:

Also worth bearing in mind often mental health matters will crop up in the context of other caring roles (for example in a care home some patients may have dementia).

You can also try volunteering with a charity like mind or something like that!

Yeah, I worked in a care home where they all had Dementia. Some of them had Scitzophrenia too.

I tried to volunteer with Mind. They rejected me, due to my own mental health. I've checked with universities. They are OK with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending