The Student Room Group

Do I need to have done volunteering at a care home if I want to apply for medicine?

I was just wondering if I needed to have been volunteering at a care home if i want to apply for med this september? If i do, is it too late to do it now? I have been volunteering at a special educational needs school since September if that’s equivalent.
Reply 1
Original post by ilovemaths28
I was just wondering if I needed to have been volunteering at a care home if i want to apply for med this september? If i do, is it too late to do it now? I have been volunteering at a special educational needs school since September if that’s equivalent.

"Need", no I wouldnt say so. I am no expert, but I think its more about how you have reflected on what you have experienced and done and how that will help you, or has informed your consideration of medicine. Not that many med schools really use the PS as part of the selection bit for interview, but referring to it or referencing /drawing on what you have written / done is key for interview. Some do use it in selection for interview. Read the admissions policies of the places you will apply to strategically after done thr UCaT.

However, that said, personally I dont think some work experience in a health and social care setting such as a care home would be wasted effort. In fact it could be very worthwhile.

Work experience is not about ticking boxes for the admissions process really, ideally should help genuinely inform you about health care and medicine and help you better understand the career you want to do.

To that end perhaps explore gaining work experience in a nursing home rather than a care home as that might give rise to broader health reflection.

Good luck.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending