The Student Room Group

Bank/placement

Hi I have years of care experience however, I am starting LD nursing September and I am wondering can I automatically do bank shifts on my first placement or do I need to be on placement a specific amount of time. tia
Reply 1
Original post by Debdav53
Hi I have years of care experience however, I am starting LD nursing September and I am wondering can I automatically do bank shifts on my first placement or do I need to be on placement a specific amount of time. tia

You'll probably find that there's rules on working on bank as a student, i.e. not working on that particular area while on placement (e.g. you can work on another ward in the trust or in another nursing home the group owns while you're on placement on another one), some placements say that students have to have done so many placements before they go on bank. However, if you already work there on bank, they can't really stop you picking up shifts.

For example:
- some of my friends wanted to work on bank at our local hospital. They could apply via an easier, student specific route as long as they'd passed 1st year or done 2 placements in the hospital.
- I was already employed by my local hospital trust prior to starting my nursing degree. I quit my substantive post and went on bank just before starting my degree. My student status didn't matter because I was already employed by the trust. As long as, while on placement, I didn't do HCA bank shifts on my base ward it was fine.
- A couple of the students on my course got jobs on bank at with CareUK. They both had placements at our most local CareUK nursing home; they weren't allowed to do bank shifts at that particular home for the duration of their 6 week placement there but otherwise there were no issues with them working there.

Hello @Debdav53

I hope you're well. I think it depends on where you would want to do the bank shifts and if you have had that type of experience, if that makes sense. I would advise speak to nurse in charge of where you are interested in completing your bank and get their opinion, to see if that's allowed. Being a 3rd year student midwife, I would also advise you to give yourself a few weeks to settle in and then start bank, if you still want to!

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply, I have worked in a care home for 10years + however I have left to concentrate on my degree. I am wanting to pick up bank shifts that align with my degree, so perhaps epilepsy/autism placements. So I’d have no experience in this field. I have seen many trust would like 12 weeks experience too. But I’d like to see what my options are. Thank you.
Thank you for your reply, I have worked in a care home for 10years + however I have left to concentrate on my degree. I am wanting to pick up bank shifts that align with my degree, so perhaps epilepsy/autism placements. So I’d have no experience in this field. I have seen many trust would like 12 weeks experience too. But I’d like to see what my options are. Thank you.

Hello @Debdav53

You're welcome! Oh wow you have a lot of experience in the care field then, that's great. Maybe it might be the case that once you have a placement in that particular area you'd be able to use this as "experience" towards becoming on the bank. Best of luck, I hope it all works out for you and you enjoy your degree!

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending