The Student Room Group

Failed AS levels and need some advice

I'm currently in my 2nd year of A levels (just started) and I failed my AS exams: Maths(U), Physics(U) and Computer Science(E). I've consulted one of my Sixth form leaders about this but she keeps putting it off and I need to talk to someone about this and get an answer on what I should do, I don't want to re-take AS because I've been told that I can't take Computer Science if I do and my dream job is to become a Software Engineer. I revised as much as I could and anything I do never seems to work. A friend suggested I try going college but I'd prefer to pass my A levels.

I really need some advice as soon as possible as college applications end soon.

Also I've been having seizures for an unknown reason, I've been to the doctor's and they can't find out the reason why and so I haven't been in school as much lately.

I also have really bad memory so it would be nice to get some advice on how to revise and actually remember it.
Reply 1
Original post by userD
I'm currently in my 2nd year of A levels (just started) and I failed my AS exams: Maths(U), Physics(U) and Computer Science(E). I've consulted one of my Sixth form leaders about this but she keeps putting it off and I need to talk to someone about this and get an answer on what I should do, I don't want to re-take AS because I've been told that I can't take Computer Science if I do and my dream job is to become a Software Engineer. I revised as much as I could and anything I do never seems to work. A friend suggested I try going college but I'd prefer to pass my A levels.

Also I've been having seizures for an unknown reason, I've been to the doctor's and they can't find out the reason why and so I haven't been in school as much lately.

I also have really bad memory so it would be nice to get some advice on how to revise and actually remember it.

Try Video format , instead of the classic book revision also try this technique called visceralization revision technique. I also struggle to remember things and this has been helpful . Good luck
Original post by userD

Having seizures and a bad memory could be linked so it's probably a good idea not to stress too much right now and try to get your health sorted as a priority. Could you repeat a year? Anyway, I think health is most important and you can't bully your brain into studying and memorising things if there's a deeper problem going on.
Reply 3
Hiya, I'm so sorry for what you're going through.
You should send one email to include the SEN, student services, head of sixth form, admin and the headmaster in the same email. This way they answer you.

Dear Head of Sixth/SEN/Student Services
and so on..

I would apply for mitigating circumstances, and have your GP write a letter for evidence.
You should be able to retake your AS Levels no matter the grade as long as it's within school. If they don't you can consider doing it externally however I appreciate it can be quite expensive as I did AS externally in maths. I really think it's worth sending this email and trying to get school to help you.

Wishing you all the best !
Original post by userD

Ask reference to give letter, for the extenuating circumstances. Also use pomodoro technique for time management, keep repeating revise same topic to remember, use 1focus and stayfocusd to block websites.

Original post by sailhorsegirl
Having seizures and a bad memory could be linked so it's probably a good idea not to stress too much right now and try to get your health sorted as a priority. Could you repeat a year? Anyway, I think health is most important and you can't bully your brain into studying and memorising things if there's a deeper problem going on.

Repeating would be in OP's best interests considering their crap AS levels.
Reply 5
Original post by medic_7ak
Hiya, I'm so sorry for what you're going through.
You should send one email to include the SEN, student services, head of sixth form, admin and the headmaster in the same email. This way they answer you.

Dear Head of Sixth/SEN/Student Services
and so on..

I would apply for mitigating circumstances, and have your GP write a letter for evidence.
You should be able to retake your AS Levels no matter the grade as long as it's within school. If they don't you can consider doing it externally however I appreciate it can be quite expensive as I did AS externally in maths. I really think it's worth sending this email and trying to get school to help you.

Wishing you all the best !

I've asked if I could repeat the year however my sixth form leader says that I cannot take the same A levels, and I'd like to keep doing Computer Science as an A level.
Reply 6
Original post by AFA007
Try Video format , instead of the classic book revision also try this technique called visceralization revision technique. I also struggle to remember things and this has been helpful . Good luck

Thank you I'll try this
Original post by userD
I've asked if I could repeat the year however my sixth form leader says that I cannot take the same A levels, and I'd like to keep doing Computer Science as an A level.

One can take the A-levels privately. Or go to a resit college.

Quick Reply

Latest