The Student Room Group

2/3 subjects

Would sitting 2 A-levels be enough for applying to universities or do they always require 3?
Original post by TryingMyBest333
Would sitting 2 A-levels be enough for applying to universities or do they always require 3?

Hi there!

Yes to be accepted into university you will need a minimum number of UCAS points, which is usually acquired by having 3 A-Level qualifications, or by having a form of vocational BTEC qualification(s) that is equivalent to the same number of UCAS points as 3 A-Levels.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions let us know :smile:

Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!

Yes to be accepted into university you will need a minimum number of UCAS points, which is usually acquired by having 3 A-Level qualifications, or by having a form of vocational BTEC qualification(s) that is equivalent to the same number of UCAS points as 3 A-Levels.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions let us know :smile:

Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year

Heya, thank you for the reply. Is this the case with pretty much all the universities? I'm asking mainly in regards to medicine.

The above is not really wholly accurate as a lot of universities don't use the UCAS points system at all. Most medical schools do not (if any?).

Heya, thank you for the reply. Is this the case with pretty much all the universities? I'm asking mainly in regards to medicine.

You would absolutely be required to take 3 A-levels for medicine (or equivalent - although 2 A-levels and a BTEC may be less competitive for some medical schools). They also specify that you take the 3 A-levels in the same "sitting" i.e. you don't do 1 A-level in 1 year and 2 A-levels over 2 years - they want to see you have done the full 3 A-levels in the normal 2 year timeframe in parallel with each other, taking the exam for all 3 together.
Original post by artful_lounger
The above is not really wholly accurate as a lot of universities don't use the UCAS points system at all. Most medical schools do not (if any?).

You would absolutely be required to take 3 A-levels for medicine (or equivalent - although 2 A-levels and a BTEC may be less competitive for some medical schools). They also specify that you take the 3 A-levels in the same "sitting" i.e. you don't do 1 A-level in 1 year and 2 A-levels over 2 years - they want to see you have done the full 3 A-levels in the normal 2 year timeframe in parallel with each other, taking the exam for all 3 together.

heya, this makes more sense! Highly appreciated 😀

Quick Reply

Latest