The Student Room Group

first credit card

hey. I just turned 18 and would love to open a credit card account to build my credit score however I have a low creditscore (due to just Turing 18) and nowhere will accept me. does anyone have any advice or similar troubles regarding getting your first credit card
Original post by jay1122
hey. I just turned 18 and would love to open a credit card account to build my credit score however I have a low creditscore (due to just Turing 18) and nowhere will accept me. does anyone have any advice or similar troubles regarding getting your first credit card

It's more likely that you are being turned down to a lack of income. It's well worth reading the following article that explains how to improve your credit score (by registering to vote, etc.):

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score/
Reply 2
Original post by jay1122

On top of what @normaw has written:

Make sure that you're applying for the right sort of credit card. You should be applying for a "starter" or "credit builder" card -- for example, the Barclaycard "Forward" card (https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/forward) -- and not a card that gives perks.

If you've made several attempts recently to get a card, then don't make any more applications for at least four months. Every application you make is likely to leave a footprint on your credit report, which other lenders can see. Repeated applications make it look like you're desperate to obtain credit, and lenders don't like seeing that.

Whatever you do, when you get a card, you need to make sure that you don't spend more than you can afford to pay back; pay the statement balance in full before the deadline (and if you can't, then pay as much as you can afford, but always at least the minimum payment); and never exceed your credit limit.
Reply 3
Original post by martin7
On top of what @normaw has written:

Make sure that you're applying for the right sort of credit card. You should be applying for a "starter" or "credit builder" card -- for example, the Barclaycard "Forward" card (https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/forward) -- and not a card that gives perks.

If you've made several attempts recently to get a card, then don't make any more applications for at least four months. Every application you make is likely to leave a footprint on your credit report, which other lenders can see. Repeated applications make it look like you're desperate to obtain credit, and lenders don't like seeing that.

Whatever you do, when you get a card, you need to make sure that you don't spend more than you can afford to pay back; pay the statement balance in full before the deadline (and if you can't, then pay as much as you can afford, but always at least the minimum payment); and never exceed your credit limit.

thank you so much this is really helpful
Reply 4
hi! i'm in the same position, i managed to get one from sainsbury's bank just recently. if you're a student then I think HSBC and one other bank have student credit cards, but there are cards designed for people with poor credit scores out there as mentioned above^^. also before applying there should be eligibility checkers that only do a soft check so won't negatively affect your credit score :smile:
I work in this field. Could be yout income beibg an issue as most places will want you ti have ‘x’ income to be eligible for any sort of credit.

As another has said id you have done lots of applications in a short period of time. Dont apply for any more lending for at least 3 months as lots of applications at once can work against you.
Reply 6
Do you think Amex would let you open one up straight away? They have nice rewards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending