The Student Room Group

Fixing My Low Credit Score

I've just checked by credit score with TransUnion and I have a score of 555, which is quite low on their scale and they describe it as 'needs some improvement'. I turned 18 six months ago and I have signed up to the electoral register. I have never had any debt or taken out any loans, which I know means that I have a thin credit file as credit agencies have no info on how I manage loans and debt.

Most info I have seen online has recommended a builder credit card. I have done a soft check on Money Super Market to see which builder/starter credit cards I am eligible for so that I can build up my credit score, only to find out I am not eligible for any.

Does anyone have any tips on how I could improve my score, seeing as it is below average and I cannot apply for any builder credit cards?
You don't mention any income, do you have regular wages from a job? Without this almost no lender will touch you, builder card or not.
Your credit score is utterly meaningless, and seen by no one, apart from you (this is for the UK)

What does your file look like? Many credit agreements e.g. credit card, contract mobile phone etc., with up to date payments and no black marks, or do you have some missed payments, defaults, or CCJs?

The better forum for those discussions is the MoneySavingExpert boards
Original post by Matilda_Moo
Your credit score is utterly meaningless, and seen by no one, apart from you (this is for the UK)

What does your file look like? Many credit agreements e.g. credit card, contract mobile phone etc., with up to date payments and no black marks, or do you have some missed payments, defaults, or CCJs?

The better forum for those discussions is the MoneySavingExpert boards

They already said they don't have credit entries in their file.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
You don't mention any income, do you have regular wages from a job? Without this almost no lender will touch you, builder card or not.

Yes, I have a part-time job where I get paid monthly and sometimes do temp jobs in which I get paid every 2 weeks.
Original post by unknxwnx
I've just checked by credit score with TransUnion and I have a score of 555, which is quite low on their scale and they describe it as 'needs some improvement'. I turned 18 six months ago and I have signed up to the electoral register. I have never had any debt or taken out any loans, which I know means that I have a thin credit file as credit agencies have no info on how I manage loans and debt.

Most info I have seen online has recommended a builder credit card. I have done a soft check on Money Super Market to see which builder/starter credit cards I am eligible for so that I can build up my credit score, only to find out I am not eligible for any.

Does anyone have any tips on how I could improve my score, seeing as it is below average and I cannot apply for any builder credit cards?

The following article is worth a read:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score/
Reply 6
Original post by unknxwnx

Try capital one by going to their website and applying for one.
Reply 7
Original post by shamensaki
Try capital one by going to their website and applying for one.

Do a soft check first, if you try this lender. All hard searches stay on your record and lower your credit score more.
Reply 8
Original post by MissHokage
Do a soft check first, if you try this lender. All hard searches stay on your record and lower your credit score more.

Yh true thats what I meant actually yh the eligibility checker which does a soft check. Thats how I got it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending