The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

durham study places (and uni facilities)

hi, i'm a sixth form student living in durham and i have some v important exams upcoming, but since lots of facilities are closed over the holidays and i can't work well at home, i'm struggling to find (free) places outside where i can actually focus.
since i'm not 18, i can't get a bill bryson visitor card and my school is small so unable to arrange a session thing like they have on their website.
does anyone know any good places to revise? and can i use the buildings which don't need a student id to get into? for example the teaching and learning centre has lots of study spaces and i would assume it's not too crowded because it's xmas hols, but please correct me if i'm wrong - would i be able to just go in and study there for a little without being a nuisance?
wi-fi isn't a requirement as i could download stuff at home then use those resources wherever
any ideas would be useful, i'm really struggling to study atm
If you’re just looking for somewhere warm and free and relatively quiet to study then why not try the cathedral: https://www.durhamcathedral.co.uk/articles/warm-spaces-initiative
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you’re just looking for somewhere warm and free and relatively quiet to study then why not try the cathedral: https://www.durhamcathedral.co.uk/articles/warm-spaces-initiative

thanks so much for the reply! had no idea this was a thing but i'll definitely check it out :smile:
Original post by asqwdfrgthjk
hi, i'm a sixth form student living in durham and i have some v important exams upcoming, but since lots of facilities are closed over the holidays and i can't work well at home, i'm struggling to find (free) places outside where i can actually focus.
since i'm not 18, i can't get a bill bryson visitor card and my school is small so unable to arrange a session thing like they have on their website.
does anyone know any good places to revise? and can i use the buildings which don't need a student id to get into? for example the teaching and learning centre has lots of study spaces and i would assume it's not too crowded because it's xmas hols, but please correct me if i'm wrong - would i be able to just go in and study there for a little without being a nuisance?
wi-fi isn't a requirement as i could download stuff at home then use those resources wherever
any ideas would be useful, i'm really struggling to study atm

Hiya

Most campus buildings are closed until 2nd January but the Palace Green Library is open now from 11am to 4pm, so that's a good option. You don't need to pay anything or book a study space in advance either. Just show up and the reception people will guide you. https://libguides.durham.ac.uk/Libraries/barkerresearchlibrary

As for the TLC, the building will reopen on Jan 2nd so you can go in and study during that time. Unfortunately, it won't be accessible until then.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest