The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Im considering studying at St Andrews but it has super long terms?? What is it like??

I have an offer from St Andrews for 2024 entry and it looked like a really nice place until I looked at the term dates?!!! In 2024, the first term ends on the 24th of December????? like what?? and there doesn't appear to be a proper easter holiday!
Could someone studying there tell me what that's like? does it get really tiring?? how on earth do you have christmas- can you even get back home by the 25th??

Also, one more sort of unrelated question: when the year ends, are you able to leave your stuff in St Andrews or would I have to take it all the way home (to Southern England) because that would probably take sooo long.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by psychsoc
I have an offer from St Andrews for 2024 entry and it looked like a really nice place until I looked at the term dates?!!! In 2024, the first term ends on the 24th of December????? like what?? and there doesn't appear to be a proper easter holiday!
Could someone studying there tell me what that's like? does it get really tiring?? how on earth do you have christmas- can you even get back home by the 25th??

Also, one more sort of unrelated question: when the year ends, are you able to leave your stuff in St Andrews or would I have to take it all the way home (to Southern England) because that would probably take sooo long.

heya, it says Exams finish: Monday 23 December, Christmas vacation starts: Tuesday 24 December

so that means the term ends on 23rd and not Xmas eve... and that is ONLY if you happen to have an exam on that day. most people's last exam would be a few days earlier and i guess you'd have to book flights/train with the potential to move them earlier. there is a long break in January to give the lecturers' time to mark the exams :smile:

there is 'Revision week' over easter where a lot of people go travelling, and raisin week in October - the st andrews winter semester starts really early in Sept so you can have a long summer holiday

of course you can leave your stuff in your room over the holidays, just obviously not the summer holiday in first year because your accommodation contract would not cover the summer, but in latter years you will probably rent a private flat where you could leave your stuff all year round. there are student storage companies as well fyi
(edited 3 months ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending