The Student Room Group

Is this a tracing question? (law help)

I'm doing practice papers for my trust law exam and I came across the following problem question:

14*. In breach of trust, Max transferred £100,000 from a trust bank account into his own, raising the total balance to £170,000, immediately using £120,000 to buy a leasehold title to a London flat. Six months later, he sold the lease for £180,000 and spent the entire amount at auction for a title to a painting which has been independently appraised to be worth only £100,000. Of the remaining £50,000 in his account, he used £20,000 to pay off a mortgage on his house, £10,000 to clear a tax bill, £10,000 to improve his yacht, and £10,000 to repay a loan he had taken out to buy a new car. Max is now bankrupt.

I answered this as if it were a tracing question and mentioned how you'd have to consider whether to apply the rule from Clayton's Case or the lowest intermediate balance rule at each stage. But when I go back over my notes and the notes from the class on tracing, it looks like every scenario/the case law deals with situations where there a multiple innocent contributors to the misappropriated fund. How would I answer this question in approximately 1500 words?
Original post by Username123ab
I'm doing practice papers for my trust law exam and I came across the following problem question:

14*. In breach of trust, Max transferred £100,000 from a trust bank account into his own, raising the total balance to £170,000, immediately using £120,000 to buy a leasehold title to a London flat. Six months later, he sold the lease for £180,000 and spent the entire amount at auction for a title to a painting which has been independently appraised to be worth only £100,000. Of the remaining £50,000 in his account, he used £20,000 to pay off a mortgage on his house, £10,000 to clear a tax bill, £10,000 to improve his yacht, and £10,000 to repay a loan he had taken out to buy a new car. Max is now bankrupt.

I answered this as if it were a tracing question and mentioned how you'd have to consider whether to apply the rule from Clayton's Case or the lowest intermediate balance rule at each stage. But when I go back over my notes and the notes from the class on tracing, it looks like every scenario/the case law deals with situations where there a multiple innocent contributors to the misappropriated fund. How would I answer this question in approximately 1500 words?

What does the question ask you to do exactly?
Original post by CatusStarbright
What does the question ask you to do exactly?

Advise the beneficiary of the trust
Original post by Username123ab
Advise the beneficiary of the trust

I certainly agree that it's a tracing question, and I'd spend the 1,500 words going through where each part of the mixed funds went and determining what the beneficiary of the trust might be able to claim back. I presume that's what you did yourself.

If you want feedback on your answer then you could always ask your tutor/seminar leader/etc. if they would be willing to review it.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending