The Student Room Group

coding

So I really need to learn how to code in the fastest way possible. I watch those YouTube videos explaining code but when i have an assignment I don't know anything.
Original post by kiirukmkmklm
So I really need to learn how to code in the fastest way possible. I watch those YouTube videos explaining code but when i have an assignment I don't know anything.

Simply watching YouTube videos will be of little help. You need to actually do what they're doing. And rather than simply following their instructions step-by-step you need to stop and and ask yourself why they're doing this step. Better still, try pausing the video before they complete each step and attempt to perform it yourself first. If you get stuck, watch what they did. (You'll need to watch what they did anyway, as you might have implemented it slightly differently, which will then cause problems with the following steps.)

Another problem you might be facing is if the YouTube videos are working through much simpler problems than you're facing in your assignments. If that's the case, then you need to first understand the YouTube videos you're watching, and then move onto more advanced YouTube videos until you reach those at the level of you assignments.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Simply watching YouTube videos will be of little help. You need to actually do what they're doing. And rather than simply following their instructions step-by-step you need to stop and and ask yourself why they're doing this step. Better still, try pausing the video before they complete each step and attempt to perform it yourself first. If you get stuck, watch what they did. (You'll need to watch what they did anyway, as you might have implemented it slightly differently, which will then cause problems with the following steps.)

Another problem you might be facing is if the YouTube videos are working through much simpler problems than you're facing in your assignments. If that's the case, then you need to first understand the YouTube videos you're watching, and then move onto more advanced YouTube videos until you reach those at the level of you assignments.

Thanks so much
Reply 3
Original post by kiirukmkmklm

If you are trying to learn python, CGP has a really good textbook that I used to gain a strong understanding of the language. It covers everything you need to know in a good amount of detail with lots of exam questions and coding challenges, and its not specific to an exam board.

If you don't have the money to buy it then online tools like Seneca are really quite helpful.
Link

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending