The Student Room Group

gcse mock science revision

how do you guys revise? i have 20 days left and soooo many topics. i’m currently watching a video, taking notes and making flash cards but this is proving too time consuming and i won’t be able to finish all the content in time.
how do you guys revise the sciences?
Original post by HK78
how do you guys revise? i have 20 days left and soooo many topics. i’m currently watching a video, taking notes and making flash cards but this is proving too time consuming and i won’t be able to finish all the content in time.

First make a checklist on the topics you need to cover and then pick one, watch the videos for it and make summarised notes on an A4 piece of paper (try to limit the notes to one side of the paper but if you need to use both sides then you can). Refer to the points in your spec so you know you're covering what you need to know.

Then take a post it note and give yourself prompt questions that will be followed by a few bullet points from your notes. For example, the question can be: explain the roles of the different parts of a cell and then when you test yourself on your notes you can write your answers down and later see if you got it right. If you want you can also give yourself the number of points you need to say in brackets next to the question which can direct you to how much you need to say (like (3) for 3 points).

You can use spaced repetition for the 7 days until you have a good general idea of that topic. Obviously, when you cover so much content, it can be hard to memorise all of it - so in that case if you stumble across some particularly lengthy topics, I recommend you first take time to understand the topic, then make notes on just the practicals and equations you need to know for that topic (as practicals + equations are the main things you need to know).

Then take some past papers and cut off the questions you'd find easy but keep the ones you'd find challenging and do those to the best of your ability. Later, mark those questions and see which points you were missing - if those points aren't included in your notes then add them on and highlight them to make them stand out or if those points were within your notes then just underline them so you know you have to prioritise learning those specific points.

I know it will be very difficult, especially in the lead up to mocks, but don't forget to take breaks and maintain your sleep schedule as much as you can - sometimes taking a good break when you feel stressed can help you work much better afterwards! Take the rest of today to make a general plan/timetable and map out which topics you'll cover on which days, you can also put in some rest breaks so you have some energy boosting time too.

Good luck for mocks!
Reply 2
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Original post by HK78

First make a checklist on the topics you need to cover and then pick one, watch the videos for it and make summarised notes on an A4 piece of paper (try to limit the notes to one side of the paper but if you need to use both sides then you can). Refer to the points in your spec so you know you're covering what you need to know.

Then take a post it note and give yourself prompt questions that will be followed by a few bullet points from your notes. For example, the question can be: explain the roles of the different parts of a cell and then when you test yourself on your notes you can write your answers down and later see if you got it right. If you want you can also give yourself the number of points you need to say in brackets next to the question which can direct you to how much you need to say (like (3) for 3 points).

You can use spaced repetition for the 7 days until you have a good general idea of that topic. Obviously, when you cover so much content, it can be hard to memorise all of it - so in that case if you stumble across some particularly lengthy topics, I recommend you first take time to understand the topic, then make notes on just the practicals and equations you need to know for that topic (as practicals + equations are the main things you need to know).

Then take some past papers and cut off the questions you'd find easy but keep the ones you'd find challenging and do those to the best of your ability. Later, mark those questions and see which points you were missing - if those points aren't included in your notes then add them on and highlight them to make them stand out or if those points were within your notes then just underline them so you know you have to prioritise learning those specific points.

I know it will be very difficult, especially in the lead up to mocks, but don't forget to take breaks and maintain your sleep schedule as much as you can - sometimes taking a good break when you feel stressed can help you work much better afterwards! Take the rest of today to make a general plan/timetable and map out which topics you'll cover on which days, you can also put in some rest breaks so you have some energy boosting time too.

Good luck for mocks!

hi!
thank you so so much for taking the time to write this out :smile:) it’s really helped me and given me an actual frame as to how i’m gonna structure my revision, really appreciate it!! gonna implement this into my routine starting tmr

Quick Reply

Latest