The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Anyone studying Asian Studies at SOAS?

I've always been interested in Japan/Korean culture (studied Japanese when I was younger and recently went to Korea (KMU in Daegu)) and fell in love with it. I'm considering studying at SOAS to study either one and wanted some info on studies. As someone from a low income background, I'm a bit scared about costs, and also wondered how intensive it is. (I want to work and have my own hobbies on the side too)

To be honest I am more of a creative person, (I draw webtoons and do k-dance as hobbies) so I was wondering if there's a chance to explore the creative side of stuff too??
I didn't get much help in college (I am currently on a gap year) and I'm so stressed because I decided so last minute I wanted to go uni. Honestly any help and replies would be much appreciated!!
They're well known for being pretty strong for those languages, but that does also mean they're reasonable intensive as you have a lot of tests regularly to make sure you're keeping up with your grammar and vocab and such I gather.

You get an increased maintenance loan for studying in London and the maintenance loan is based on your family income so you may well be getting the higher value of the maintenance loan as well. SOAS also has some modest bursaries available for students from low income backgrounds.

Undoubtedly you would find ways to explore your personal interests in London if not through the university itself.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by hinatas_extra2cm
I've always been interested in Japan/Korean culture (studied Japanese when I was younger and recently went to Korea (KMU in Daegu)) and fell in love with it. I'm considering studying at SOAS to study either one and wanted some info on studies. As someone from a low income background, I'm a bit scared about costs, and also wondered how intensive it is. (I want to work and have my own hobbies on the side too)

To be honest I am more of a creative person, (I draw webtoons and do k-dance as hobbies) so I was wondering if there's a chance to explore the creative side of stuff too??
I didn't get much help in college (I am currently on a gap year) and I'm so stressed because I decided so last minute I wanted to go uni. Honestly any help and replies would be much appreciated!!

Hi, It's great that you're interested in Japanese/Korean culture and you're interested in studying at SOAS! I'm a final year student at SOAS studying Arabic and International Relations. SOAS offer loads of bursary options and the admin department are great at helping you in every way offering pastoral and financial advice. Alongside your degree, you can get a part-time job and enjoy your own hobbies too!

SOAS also have over 100 clubs and societies including in an arts societies, Korea society, Korean Music Society and many more and if there's a society you want to start up, the Student Union will help you in doing so

Hope this helps
Z
UG Arabic & IR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending