The Student Room Group

Can I still get an apprenticeship this year?

In 2022, my Mom and I came to the UK to join my Dad on a family/ dependent visa i was 18 at the time. My plan was to get into Uni but I didn't have the accepted qualifications to apply as I did my O levels in Nigeria. I then opted for a BTEC Nationals in computing which I am completing this year.
I have already applied to 5 Unis through UCAS even though my main plan is to do a degree apprenticeship but I don't know if I am eligible to for degree apprenticeships or student finance for uni in that i haven't lived here for 3 years, I have lived here for just 1.5 years.
Is there any chance that I get an apprenticeship this year or get student finance for uni?
Reply 1
Original post by Malitoli
In 2022, my Mom and I came to the UK to join my Dad on a family/ dependent visa i was 18 at the time. My plan was to get into Uni but I didn't have the accepted qualifications to apply as I did my O levels in Nigeria. I then opted for a BTEC Nationals in computing which I am completing this year.
I have already applied to 5 Unis through UCAS even though my main plan is to do a degree apprenticeship but I don't know if I am eligible to for degree apprenticeships or student finance for uni in that i haven't lived here for 3 years, I have lived here for just 1.5 years.
Is there any chance that I get an apprenticeship this year or get student finance for uni?

hi if you have had a part time job in the UK then you should be eligible to work as an apprentice. You could email the HR of the companies (before/after you send your application) to see if they might allow you to progress if not.

However, you have university as an option so you can always go and gain experience through spring weeks and internships. Any age can do apprenticeships- even if your in your first year of uni, you can apply to do a degree apprenticeship in your second. Most apprentices are 18-25 so you've got time, don't feel like you have to rush. I'm unsure about eligibility for student finance, you should speak with the careers/university department of your school for extra guidance and any possible bursaries/scholarships that you are eligible for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending