The Student Room Group

LIPA or Mountview?

I’m currently in my last year of a-levels and I’m stuck between LIPA and Mountview when it comes to studying at further education? I love both courses for different reasons and my partner is going to university in London so Mountview looks like a good option but the costs are scaring me off a little bit. So is Mountview worth the cost or would I be getting more for my money at LIPA? I don’t want to be apart from my partner but some of the rumours about Mountview are freaking me out a bit.
Have you had offers from both?

Mountview is undoudtedly the most prestigious but the top up fees preclude a lot of people.
Reply 2
Not yet - just entering the audition season now but I like to be somewhat settled in what I’m doing/my plans.
Mountview especially is highly competitive. They have hundreds of applicants and very few places.
Reply 4
Original post by welcometotherock
Mountview especially is highly competitive. They have hundreds of applicants and very few places.

Yes, I suppose that’s true. From what I’ve seen however, LIPA and Mountview have the same 4% acceptance rate. Plus drama school was always going to be a competitive game, so that doesn’t really surprise me.
What I’m trying to figure out really is if Mountview compares to LIPA in terms of its regard in the industry? Would it be a wasted opportunity, if I were to get offers back from both, to choose Mountview over LIPA, or vice versa?
Depending on whether we are talking straight acting or musical theatre the most highly regarded places are RADA, LAMDA, Mountview, GSA, Bristol Old Vic & Central (with Arts Ed added for MT).

LIPA I would say is in the next tier down, still well regarded but not top tier.
Reply 6
Depending on whether we are talking straight acting or musical theatre the most highly regarded places are RADA, LAMDA, Mountview, GSA, Bristol Old Vic & Central (with Arts Ed added for MT).

LIPA I would say is in the next tier down, still well regarded but not top tier.

Cool, thats pretty much the gist of what I needed to know - thank you so much :smile:
Reply 7

Interesting list! I'd put Guildhall some distance above Mountview and GSA - certainly for acting.
Reply 8
Hi just to add my two penneth. I think that list is completely wrong! Mountview and GSA above Bristol and Central?? I don't think so. Maybe for MT? Not for acting. I think RADA and LAMDA are on a par with Guildhall too. Also in answer to Grublover. There is absolutely no point in measuring what you think is the best school. Just audition and see what offers you get first. I hope you get loads of offers and then you can make a choice.
Original post by jojo2014
Hi just to add my two penneth. I think that list is completely wrong! Mountview and GSA above Bristol and Central?? I don't think so. Maybe for MT? Not for acting. I think RADA and LAMDA are on a par with Guildhall too. Also in answer to Grublover. There is absolutely no point in measuring what you think is the best school. Just audition and see what offers you get first. I hope you get loads of offers and then you can make a choice.

Did I say Mountview & GSA were above BOV & Central? (Though I think in recent years Central has declined a bit). They are all top tier drama schools. Also the OP didn;t state whether they were applying for Acting or Musical Theatre. My personal opinion is that RADA & BOV are probably top of the tree but a lot depends on a variety of factors. I don't think Guildhall has the quite the reputation of the others.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Grublover22
I’m currently in my last year of a-levels and I’m stuck between LIPA and Mountview when it comes to studying at further education? I love both courses for different reasons and my partner is going to university in London so Mountview looks like a good option but the costs are scaring me off a little bit. So is Mountview worth the cost or would I be getting more for my money at LIPA? I don’t want to be apart from my partner but some of the rumours about Mountview are freaking me out a bit.

I know this is a month old now and you may have already had auditions, but thought I’d reply anyway. Not sure what course you are going for, whether Acting or MT, but I’d definitely apply to both (and more if you are able to) and go and get a feel for them at your audition day. My daughter loved the sound of LIPA for MT and was very excited to audition, we arrived in Liverpool last week and she absolutely loved the city too, however when she got to the actual audition the next day she really didn’t like it, she didn’t feel a great vibe from it and couldn’t see herself going there. Whereas the week before she had the complete opposite experience at RCS. So you definitely need to go and see how good a feel you get for the places too, what one person loves another person may not.
We’ve found this year that my daughter keeping her options too narrow has been a huge drawback also, she really wishes she’d applied for more places, definitely something to keep in mind aswell. Good luck with applications/auditions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending