The Student Room Group

Example timetables for Speech and Language Therapy BSc or MSc

Hi, I wondered if any current or prospective Speech and Language Therapy students had an example of the days of the week they are in uni and the times of day of their lectures/seminars/tutorials.

I know to expect a 9-5 timetable and during placement obviously this would be full time working hours. I also know this varies each year and by university. So I’d like an idea of how long I can expect to be at uni each day and if contact time is spread throughout the day or usually I could finish before 5pm or start after 9am?

I’m applying for BSc and MSc routes so would be interested to hear about either. I am particularly looking at University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University. The reason I’d like a few more specifics is that I would be a mature student commuting into Manchester with other responsibilities at home. Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply 1
When I did the 4 year course as it was before the introduction of fees, we were usually in 3 days a week on average, sometimes more, sometimes less. The peak has risen for 4.5 full days you’re expected to be in. Those don’t necessarily translate to 4.5 full days of teaching, which can be a pain. Being dragged in for a lecture that’s all of an hour long and starts at 3pm is something timetabling can consider to be entirely reasonable.

Something to consider is that timetabling is not always fixed. Things can move about on a weekly basis. It was rare that I had any two weeks that were identical. But you do get the timetable in advance at the start of each semester, so you can plan in advance. It’s just a pain.
Original post by Muzz26
Hi, I wondered if any current or prospective Speech and Language Therapy students had an example of the days of the week they are in uni and the times of day of their lectures/seminars/tutorials.

I know to expect a 9-5 timetable and during placement obviously this would be full time working hours. I also know this varies each year and by university. So I’d like an idea of how long I can expect to be at uni each day and if contact time is spread throughout the day or usually I could finish before 5pm or start after 9am?

I’m applying for BSc and MSc routes so would be interested to hear about either. I am particularly looking at University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University. The reason I’d like a few more specifics is that I would be a mature student commuting into Manchester with other responsibilities at home. Thank you in advance for your help!

@Manchester Met - Student Rep could you give any insight? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TMTDRN
When I did the 4 year course as it was before the introduction of fees, we were usually in 3 days a week on average, sometimes more, sometimes less. The peak has risen for 4.5 full days you’re expected to be in. Those don’t necessarily translate to 4.5 full days of teaching, which can be a pain. Being dragged in for a lecture that’s all of an hour long and starts at 3pm is something timetabling can consider to be entirely reasonable.

Something to consider is that timetabling is not always fixed. Things can move about on a weekly basis. It was rare that I had any two weeks that were identical. But you do get the timetable in advance at the start of each semester, so you can plan in advance. It’s just a pain.

Thank you TMTDRN. That’s what I assumed to be honest. How did you find the course and are you working as a speech and language therapist now? I do have some questions about speech and language therapy as a career also if you wouldn’t mind me asking?
Reply 4
Original post by Muzz26
Thank you TMTDRN. That’s what I assumed to be honest. How did you find the course and are you working as a speech and language therapist now? I do have some questions about speech and language therapy as a career also if you wouldn’t mind me asking?

DM me if you like.
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
@Manchester Met - Student Rep could you give any insight? :smile:

Hi there
So I’m a speech and language therapy student going into 2nd year, 3 year course. We are in most days of the week and work from 9-4 normally I’d say but this really varies with which topics or lecturers you have that week. This also changes massively with placement hours - as these are longer. I have loved the course so far and would definitely recommend. What experience have you had before thinking of applying to this course ?

Best wishes
Emily
Reply 6
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there
So I’m a speech and language therapy student going into 2nd year, 3 year course. We are in most days of the week and work from 9-4 normally I’d say but this really varies with which topics or lecturers you have that week. This also changes massively with placement hours - as these are longer. I have loved the course so far and would definitely recommend. What experience have you had before thinking of applying to this course ?

Best wishes
Emily

Hi Emily,

That’s really good to know, I’m just having a bit of a wobble because I’ll be commuting on the train which is a 1 hour journey and I’ve just realised how far Manchester Met and Uni of Manchester are from Piccadilly station. My journey is going to be over an hour and half (closer to 2 hours) door to door with walking to and from the station at either end so I just wanted to get an idea of whether this will be manageable with the usual timetable. I actually think placement might be better for me as I’ll be able to drive or hopefully get placed closer to where I live although I know this can’t be guaranteed!

I’m an ex primary school teacher so have been lucky enough to work with a speech and language therapist within school. I’ve also started volunteering with Stroke Association and have also had experience with SEND pupils and stammering.

When you say most days of the week does this mean there’s at least 1 day per week in self directed study? i.e. I could work from home?
Reply 7
Hi!!
I’m doing BSc at UoM this September. Im also commuting, and worrying about the timetable. I have two young children who I need to arrange childcare for so I’m eager to get organised.

I’m going to contact the Uni today and ask if they could advise a rough idea… I’ll let you know if I hear anything!
Reply 8
Original post by megatron99
Hi!!
I’m doing BSc at UoM this September. Im also commuting, and worrying about the timetable. I have two young children who I need to arrange childcare for so I’m eager to get organised.

I’m going to contact the Uni today and ask if they could advise a rough idea… I’ll let you know if I hear anything!

Thank you! I’m glad it’s not just me worrying about this! Please do let me know if you hear anything 😊
Reply 9
Hi, I am considering the BSc SLT at UoM also but have the same questions re. Timetable as I have three young girls in primary school so I'd need to be organised with childcare way before the uni are able to provide a timetable so essentially just looking for an old timetable or this year's to give me an idea of what in reality to expect please. Thank you
Original post by Muzz26
Hi Emily,

That’s really good to know, I’m just having a bit of a wobble because I’ll be commuting on the train which is a 1 hour journey and I’ve just realised how far Manchester Met and Uni of Manchester are from Piccadilly station. My journey is going to be over an hour and half (closer to 2 hours) door to door with walking to and from the station at either end so I just wanted to get an idea of whether this will be manageable with the usual timetable. I actually think placement might be better for me as I’ll be able to drive or hopefully get placed closer to where I live although I know this can’t be guaranteed!

I’m an ex primary school teacher so have been lucky enough to work with a speech and language therapist within school. I’ve also started volunteering with Stroke Association and have also had experience with SEND pupils and stammering.

When you say most days of the week does this mean there’s at least 1 day per week in self directed study? i.e. I could work from home?

Hi there
For me this year and last year I had Wednesdays off to study and this year I have placement day as Tuesdays. I wobble is completely normal that’s ok! It’s a lot to figure out and sort I hope you are ok. Do you think the commute will be overwhelming? You have so much work experience this sounds like the perfect degree for you. You have so much experience which will make you perfect for this role.

Thanks
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest