The Student Room Group

delete

delete
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by riker123
I studied at Bristol got a 2.1 in engineering but feel my uni is not as respected as i was led to believe and i regret not attending a better uni when i had the chance like durham when i first applied or ucl in my second year when i reapplied. I am now due to start a job in data but I feel im lacking that prestige wow factor even though i did a hard course at bristol and got A*A*A in my alevels (bristol is also one of the best in the country for my course not that people know that). I just thought bristol was more recognised that it seems to be where ive seen people rank it below places i though it was at least on par with or if not better than like warwick, exeter, KCL, even the likes of brimingham or nottingham. so my questions are:

should i do a masters at a more recognised place to improve my long run career options?

why is bristol not as recognised as i thought it to be?

Generally speaking, employers don't care where you went to uni. If you were hoping the perceived "prestige" or "reputation" of Bristol was going to open doors for you, I suspect you'll be disappointed.

Have you been been struggling to secure a job? If so, it's very unlikely to be because of the university you attended.
I studied at Bristol got a 2.1 in engineering but feel my uni is not as respected as i was led to believe and i regret not attending a better uni when i had the chance like durham when i first applied or ucl in my second year when i reapplied. I am now due to start a job in data but I feel im lacking that prestige wow factor even though i did a hard course at bristol and got A*A*A in my alevels (bristol is also one of the best in the country for my course not that people know that). I just thought bristol was more recognised that it seems to be where ive seen people rank it below places i though it was at least on par with or if not better than like warwick, exeter, KCL, even the likes of brimingham or nottingham. so my questions are:

should i do a masters at a more recognised place to improve my long run career options?

Bristol is way more prestigious that Warwick, Exeter, KCL etc for engineering. You aren't pitching yourself right. Take a look at what you are doing, use the Bristol careers service, because Engineering is one of their top 5 subjects.
Reply 3
The people who make decisions about employment in fields like data absolutely know that Bristol is a top university for engineering - unlike some of the others you have named.
Reply 4

No one cares about the colour of your tie. What they care about is what you can do. If you want to have that prestige wow factor then join MENSA and find people who find people who are in MENSA impressive.

Look, the reason people rise to the top in computing is usually because they are really good at what they do and this isn't born from the university or course they took, but from their own curiosity and ability to figure stuff out. That and the ability to self-market, win friends and influence people.

University certificates are not passes to get a job. They just show you can achieve by sitting some exams and writing some essays. They don't give any indication as to your ability to actually do the job. So stop blaming your choice of university and instead look at what skills you have (or don't) and how you are presenting that on a CV. If you have the skills, getting a good job in IT is a doddle because they are desperate... but they won't take just anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending