The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Student Living Plus Worth it?

Hi everyone,
So I’m hoping to study at the university of birmingham in august and was looking into the accommodation and wondered about the student living plus and if it’s worth it. everyone has said that the meal plan they offered before was absolutely not worth it and a scam but it seems to be quite good value now? anyway of course they’re going to advertise it as amazing so if anyone could let me know anything that they might’ve sneakily missed that would be great :smile:
hey so I want to go to Birmingham this year too 🙂 what course are you doing?
I've seen a lot about meal plan being very restrictive. sounds like you can only use the card in the food outlets on campus, and you can only use it for one method of buying groceries which is click and collect from the costcutter next to the Vale accommodation village.
from my perspective I'd rather save the money on meal plan that I can then use to do my own cooking and be a little more independent, rather than worrying that I haven't used the outlets enough. also suppose that it depends on how much maintenance loan you'll be getting for living costs, as that could cover the meal plan part of your rent or you could already be paying less rent and then have the maintenance cover some self-catering costs instead.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by hliteraturebabe
hey so I want to go to Birmingham this year too 🙂 what course are you doing?
I've seen a lot about meal plan being very restrictive. sounds like you can only use the card in the food outlets on campus, and you can only use it for one method of buying groceries which is click and collect from the costcutter next to the Vale accommodation village.
from my perspective I'd rather save the money on meal plan that I can then use to do my own cooking and be a little more independent, rather than worrying that I haven't used the outlets enough. also suppose that it depends on how much maintenance loan you'll be getting for living costs, as that could cover the meal plan part of your rent or you could already be paying less rent and then have the maintenance cover some self-catering costs instead.

i’m doing to be doing law this year!! yes i do see how it can be restrictive, i guess my main concern was just how much people hang around i guess in the cafes and stuff you can use it as i’m a bit of an impulsive spender and would prob spend a lot more without it but what you are saying does make sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending