The Student Room Group

Seeking Advice on Pursuing MSc in Artificial Intelligence at BCU or MMU

Hello, Student Room community!

I'm from Sri Lanka and am considering pursuing an MSc in Artificial Intelligence. After some research, I've narrowed down my choices to Birmingham City University (BCU) and Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU). I am planning to self-fund my studies and am not very familiar with the UK. I'm hoping to gather more information to make an informed decision.

Could anyone share their experiences or insights regarding the pros and cons of these universities, particularly in relation to their AI programs? Additionally, I'd appreciate any information on part-time job opportunities and the cost of living in the areas surrounding these universities.

Your guidance would be incredibly helpful in making my decision, especially considering my self-funding situation.

Thank you in advance!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by riznidts

I'm from Sri Lanka and am considering pursuing an MSc in Artificial Intelligence. After some research, I've narrowed down my choices to Birmingham City University (BCU) and Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU). I am planning to self-fund my studies and am not very familiar with the UK. I'm hoping to gather more information to make an informed decision.

Could anyone share their experiences or insights regarding the pros and cons of these universities, particularly in relation to their AI programs? Additionally, I'd appreciate any information on part-time job opportunities and the cost of living in the areas surrounding these universities.

Your guidance would be incredibly helpful in making my decision, especially considering my self-funding situation.

Thank you in advance!

Bro tbh, they arent great universities and I don’t know if it would be worth it for you to pay the money it costs for the course as an international. Best stay put in your own country.
Original post by riznidts

Thank you in advance!
Hi @riznidts

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Man Met!

Our MSc Artificial Intelligence course is endorsed by 5 bodies, including the Chartered Institute of Information Security and the Chartered Institute for IT. On the course, you will gain an understanding and practical experience of the application of data analysis technologies.

You will examine different algorithmic approaches and consider algorithm complexity and efficiency through practical implementation. You’ll also focus on the algorithms which allow computers to ‘learn’ by exploring topics such as neural networks and genetic algorithms. 

Importantly, you’ll gain an appreciation for human-centred AI by examining legal, social, cultural and ethical issues related to artificial intelligence pipelines. In addition to the technical skills you will develop, we aim to equip you with key employability skills such as team working, report writing, communication, and negotiation skills along with an insight into the industry. 

International students are eligible for a range of scholarships to help with the costs of study. In terms of living expenses, our students spend £580 per month on average. This includes rent, bills, shopping and transport costs. Jobs4Students offers current Manchester Met students paid, temporary job opportunities throughout the university. Our jobs cover a wide range including creative positions, assisting on cutting-edge research projects, sport roles, event ambassadors, peer mentors, student ambassadors, IT support, schools outreach and many more.

Manchester itself is a great place to live. There's lots to do in and around the city and you can easily access the rest of the UK by public transport. Manchester's home to a large international student community and there's often lots of cultural events on, making it easy for students to create a home away from home.

Choosing where to go to university is a big decision (especially for international students!) so I recommend speaking to our student ambassadors to better understand student life in the UK. Also, it's worth comparing the course content between both universities to see which appeals to you the most. Manchester and Birmingham are somewhat similar cities in terms of what they have to offer, living costs, job opportunities, etc.

I hope you find this information useful. If you've got any questions, feel free to send a DM or contact our Course Enquiries team🙂

Chloe😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending