The Student Room Group

cheap flights for the summer

basically i'm going out to spain for some of the summer, we've got a house there and i'm havign a weeks holiday with my mates, then i'm going to stay out with my bf for at least another month. at the moment we're thinking of flying with ryanair (liverpool-murcia) as they seem a bit cheaper than bmibaby or easyjet... thing is we don't know when we're coming back... are we better decided a date now while flights are about £50, or shoudl we just risk it and book it closer to the time (ie. when we get fed up of spain and want to come home that week)... does anyone know roughly how expensive these types of flights can be (bearing in mind it'll be august)

rep for useful information!

lou xxx
Reply 1
if you book like the week you want to come home you'll get absolutely slaughtered i would think...especially as every man and his dog is in spain at that time of the year :biggrin:
Reply 2
technik
if you book like the week you want to come home you'll get absolutely slaughtered i would think...especially as every man and his dog is in spain at that time of the year :biggrin:

that's what i'm worried about... i just don't like commiting myself to only spending 'x' time out there...

lou xxx
Reply 3
Things like ryanair and easyjet are much cheaper when you book them earlier, as they often have offers/deals on about 6 months or so in advance. The ticket prices go up the nearer to the flight date, as people are looking for last minute flights when they've found a cheap hotel/villa for a week, and BA & co tend to be overpriced, but the "cheaper" airlines can put their prices up and still be cheaper, as they know people will still book with them (if that makes sense).

Also, if you try and get on a flight in the middle of August, you may have some difficulties, as its peak season and most flights are full - you may find yourself having to wait at the airport to see if people don't turn up for their flight in which case you being a 'reserve' can get on. That could be seriously annoying and pretty much ruin the last week of your holiday!
Reply 4
Chicken
Things like ryanair and easyjet are much cheaper when you book them earlier, as they often have offers/deals on about 6 months or so in advance. The ticket prices go up the nearer to the flight date, as people are looking for last minute flights when they've found a cheap hotel/villa for a week, and BA & co tend to be overpriced, but the "cheaper" airlines can put their prices up and still be cheaper, as they know people will still book with them (if that makes sense).

Also, if you try and get on a flight in the middle of August, you may have some difficulties, as its peak season and most flights are full - you may find yourself having to wait at the airport to see if people don't turn up for their flight in which case you being a 'reserve' can get on. That could be seriously annoying and pretty much ruin the last week of your holiday!

looks like i'll be booking my ryanair one then... waiting on reserve is not really an option when no one uis old enoguh to hire a car so it's public transport/taxis... guess i have to think about dates then

lou xxx
Reply 5
I went with EasyJet Liverpool John Lennon to Barcelona, it was cheap and the planes were quite modern, I also got to be sick on a scouser which has ot be a major advantage :tongue:

I am going by car or train this year though
Reply 6
amazingtrade
I went with EasyJet Liverpool John Lennon to Barcelona, it was cheap and the planes were quite modern, I also got to be sick on a scouser which has ot be a major advantage :tongue:

I am going by car or train this year though

i've flown easyjet before. when was that?/when did you book it?/how much was it?

lou xxx
Reply 7
lou p
i've flown easyjet before. when was that?/when did you book it?/how much was it?

lou xxx

It was the first week of July, booked online, I cannot remember how much it was but I know it was quite a lot cheaper than any of flights out of Manchester.
Reply 8
amazingtrade
It was the first week of July, booked online, I cannot remember how much it was but I know it was quite a lot cheaper than any of flights out of Manchester.

we've shopped around, and for the times we want easyjet is actually more expensive than bmi or ryanair... i think it's a case of catchign the right deals (like ryanair have quite a few £17.99 flights from liverpool becasue they've only just opened that route)

lou xxx
Reply 9
The problem I had with Ryan air is they add lots of taxes onto the price, with Easyjet I find they tend to a bit more honest about their pricing structure,

When you get prices just make sure you get the final and fully inclusive price.

Another reason we decied to go to Liverpool was we were flying out on a sunday, so there is no traffic, it only takes 30 minutes to get there with no traffic, where as Manchester's much bigger and busier, it can take 30 minutes just to find a parking space and get into the ternimal.

If you book now you should be able to get it slightly cheaper though, I didn't book till mid may.
Reply 10
amazingtrade
The problem I had with Ryan air is they add lots of taxes onto the price, with Easyjet I find they tend to a bit more honest about their pricing structure,

When you get prices just make sure you get the final and fully inclusive price.

Another reason we decied to go to Liverpool was we were flying out on a sunday, so there is no traffic, it only takes 30 minutes to get there with no traffic, where as Manchester's much bigger and busier, it can take 30 minutes just to find a parking space and get into the ternimal.

If you book now you should be able to get it slightly cheaper though, I didn't book till mid may.

yeh we have looked at the total prices the way to do it is to actually select the flight and go upto the stage at which you have to pay for it to get the total cost.

liverpool is easier for me anyway (and we can fly to murcia instead of alicante which is also easier)

i''ve worked it out as (for exactly the same dates, including all taxes etc.)

easyjet: liverpool-alicante: £146.48
bmibaby: manchester- alicante: £115.38
ryanair: liverpool-murcia: £87.42

lou xxx
fly al-queda airlines...they dont mind weapons on board
why is british airways so expensive compared to the other airlines,, its not like their service is that great..
Reply 13
It's hellishly better than budget airlines that's why.
Lou - try Jet2, very cheap I've found, and when I flew just a touch nicer than Ryanair in terms of seats. Youre best option is Monarch though, BA quality at Ryanair prices, both fly from 'up north'. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending