The Student Room Group

University- Module resits

Hey guys I need some advice, I am a first year. I recently received my semester one results, I failed one module which is 15 creds, it was really difficult but I tried. I have been told I will be given a chance to resit this over the summer period (maybe August). However, I am a bit stressed now because in early august we had a trip booked to meet family in the USA. Hence, I may not be here for the resit and Now I'm stressed and I'm not sure what to do.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Priyaaa21
Hey guys I need some advice, I am a first year. I recently received my semester one results, I failed one module which is 15 creds, it was really difficult but I tried. I have been told I will be given a chance to resit this over the summer period (maybe August). However, I am a bit stressed now because in early august we had a trip booked to meet family in the USA. Hence, I may not be here for the resit and Now I'm stressed and I'm not sure what to do.
Email your uni and explain the situation to them.

If the resit date can't be shifted... What's most important? A family holiday or your degree?
Reply 3

You might find you need to wait for the progess board after the May/June exams to find out the official decision as to what you'll need to do.

What decision gets made will depend on your university's regulations and how the progress board exercises any discretion it has.

If you've just failed one module, and not by much, then the board might be able to "condone" the failure, and award you the credit anyway. That's the best scenario, as there won't be any reassessment.

If you do need to be reassessed, the reassessment might not be in the same format as the original -- so if even if the original was an in-person exam, the reassessment might not be.

If you do need to be physically present to do the reassessment, and it clashes with your holiday, then you'll have decide what to do. Depending on how the dates work out, you could either not go away at all, or you could go away for a shortened trip. It might be possible to rearrange your flight -- even if a flight can't be refunded it might be possible to get it changed to a different date.

If you choose not to do the resit at all, then subsequent progress board will need to decide what to do. Possibilities include (and again, this is dependent on your university's regulations) that you might need to take a supplementary year (i.e. you'd go back into the current year in September 2024 to re-do just the module you failed and then join the next year of your course in September 2025); or you might be able to join the next year this September but have to re-do the failed unit on top of the work for the new year. It's unlikely, I think, that you'd get removed from the course for not attending a resit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending