The Student Room Group

How to stop worrying about what people view of me from the past?

Hi there,

My mind keeps reliving toxic thoughts and resentments towards others. It at times wants to punish others for stuff they did in the past, though they have long gone. My mind resents myself for not having stood up to people ok the past when I was bullied. I’ve tried journaling a lot and I know that I’ve reinvented myself and gone much further ahead in life than any of my critics. However, I still don’t feel good enough and have this constant need to prove myself to others who may have not met the reinvented and improved me.
Original post by burberry_butter
Hi there,

My mind keeps reliving toxic thoughts and resentments towards others. It at times wants to punish others for stuff they did in the past, though they have long gone. My mind resents myself for not having stood up to people ok the past when I was bullied. I’ve tried journaling a lot and I know that I’ve reinvented myself and gone much further ahead in life than any of my critics. However, I still don’t feel good enough and have this constant need to prove myself to others who may have not met the reinvented and improved me.

Why do you feel you need to prove yourself to others, who don't really know you now?
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Why do you feel you need to prove yourself to others, who don't really know you now?

I guess I just don’t really like the way the view me etc. I know it’s stupid, but I feel like I could have done more in the past and I resent how others got ahead of themselves and felt as though they could harass me.
I guess I just don’t really like the way the view me etc. I know it’s stupid, but I feel like I could have done more in the past and I resent how others got ahead of themselves and felt as though they could harass me.

Do those people really matter to you?
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Do those people really matter to you?

No, they don’t.
No, they don’t.

I wouldn't worry about what those people think about you then

Quick Reply

Latest