The Student Room Group

Should I drop Fine Art A-level at the end of year 12?

The plan is to drop it once we've got our results from our Y12 portfolios so I'll have evidence of it for my CV but won't have to do the full A-level (AS isn't available) as my three other options are very different from the arts (humanities, language and STEM).
What do you guys think? Is this advisable?
Reply 1
You do not need 4 A-Levels to head into university or higher education so you could drop it, but is it your weakest subject?

If you are really talented, it may be an easy A/A* and considering there is no written exam, it may be a nice break from your other subjects during Y13.

Up to you though.
Reply 2
Original post by Aceful
You do not need 4 A-Levels to head into university or higher education so you could drop it, but is it your weakest subject?

If you are really talented, it may be an easy A/A* and considering there is no written exam, it may be a nice break from your other subjects during Y13.

Up to you though.

I'll consider that, thanks!
Original post by Lucyljar
The plan is to drop it once we've got our results from our Y12 portfolios so I'll have evidence of it for my CV but won't have to do the full A-level (AS isn't available) as my three other options are very different from the arts (humanities, language and STEM).

Its up to you. If you are getting on fine doing all 4 subjects, and your grades at the end of year 12 are good enough, then you could carry on and do the full 4-level.
Alternatively if one of your other subjects is your weakest subject, then you could drop that and keep fine art.
Original post by Lucyljar

Hi there,

I would echo the advice above. If you are currently getting good grades in your A levels, perhaps it would be okay to continue with all the subjects. Art-related subjects can be a good stress reliever, as it allows you time away from the rest of your subjects.

However, if you would like to spend more time on the other subjects so to achieve better grades, I would recommend dropping Fine Art, or the subject that you are weakest in.

Hope this helps
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest