The Student Room Group

BAE Systems apprenticehsip Online Assessment

Hi

I’ve applied for the role of Degree Apprentice Air Software Engineer at BAE systems. I’ve been told that I’ve progressed to the online assessment with the Hirevue platform.

I’ve had a big of a dig around on here and Glassdoor but I’m struggling to find any solid info. I’d really appreciate it if somebody could give me an idea of what to expect during the online assessment and if there’s anything I need to prepare for. I’ve been out of education for 8 years so I’m concerned that my brain might not be as sharp as it was.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Did the email say “The next stage of the process is an online assessment completed via a platform called Hirevue and will be made up of a set of interview questions.”?
Reply 2
Original post by MSmith419!
Did the email say “The next stage of the process is an online assessment completed via a platform called Hirevue and will be made up of a set of interview questions.”?

It does, and the last part of the same paragraph states: This will be followed by some game-based assessments that help us assess a number of competencies and give us an idea of how you think.

The website below talks about the application process ant BAE and has a section on “gamified assessments” which is perhaps what they are referring to in the email. The gamified assessments on the website are listed separate to numerical reasoning so it may be that we don’t have a numerical reasoning test:
https://www.graduatesfirst.com/bae-systems-job-tests
Reply 3
Original post by aunt_beru

It does, and the last part of the same paragraph states: This will be followed by some game-based assessments that help us assess a number of competencies and give us an idea of how you think.

The website below talks about the application process ant BAE and has a section on “gamified assessments” which is perhaps what they are referring to in the email. The gamified assessments on the website are listed separate to numerical reasoning so it may be that we don’t have a numerical reasoning test:
https://www.graduatesfirst.com/bae-systems-job-tests

The hirevue interview is very kind as it gives you three attempts at each question. When I did it, the gamified tests were like a maths one. Another one was like a puzzle one. And the last one was two pictures and you have to choose the one you more lean towards
Reply 4
Original post by MSmith419!
The hirevue interview is very kind as it gives you three attempts at each question. When I did it, the gamified tests were like a maths one. Another one was like a puzzle one. And the last one was two pictures and you have to choose the one you more lean towards

Thanks for the insight. I suppose it makes sense to practice common interview questions so I can deliver a strong answer. It’s a nice bonus that they give you a few attempts.
Does anyone have a good free resource to prepare for the hirevue process? I've only seen some videos on YouTube, but nothing free to practice for them
Reply 6
Original post by HyperMonkey619
Does anyone have a good free resource to prepare for the hirevue process? I've only seen some videos on YouTube, but nothing free to practice for them

I did mine today. I just practicing answering standard interview questions beforehand and made some notes on these. Regarding the games I saw a few examples of these on YouTube but the ones I saw didn’t come up.

The beauty of the interview part is you get 3 attempts to record your answers and you can see the question before you start recording your answer.

My takeaway was you can prep for the interview but not the games.
Reply 7
Do these just get sent out to anyone who applied? I didn't even meet the minimum requirements for the role (thought why not apply, nothing to lose) and they've still sent me one of these video interview things lol
Reply 8
Original post by GOS1066
Do these just get sent out to anyone who applied? I didn't even meet the minimum requirements for the role (thought why not apply, nothing to lose) and they've still sent me one of these video interview things lol

Thats interesting, you’d assume the minimum requirements were checked before sending out video links. Glad you got through, I feel that job ads ask for too much from candidates.
Reply 9
Thats interesting, you’d assume the minimum requirements were checked before sending out video links. Glad you got through, I feel that job ads ask for too much from candidates.

Yeah it was honestly surprising to get a positive email from them haha. I suppose I do have a level 3 BTEC but it's not like they asked for that (I included it anyway). Maybe that helped? Not sure. But it did make me wonder if the first part even has anyone checking it. I thought potentially they may check after we've done these video interviews and go from there. I agree with your part about job ads. Especially considering how bad the pay often is.
Reply 10
Original post by GOS1066

If you want to confirm the entry requirements email the Gart email address. When checking that they considered Psychology as a science, they were very responsive and helpful (and confirmed they did).
Reply 11
You guys heard anything?
Reply 12
Original post by GOS1066
You guys heard anything?

I was lucky enough to have a Face to Face interview last week but haven’t heard anything since.
Reply 13
I was lucky enough to have a Face to Face interview last week but haven’t heard anything since.

Nice one! Hope you hear back soon. Mine is still "under consideration". Not gonna hold my breath. Job market feels quite tough at the moment.

Hi, I have my interview next week for air software engineering aswell, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of technical questions were asked - is it related to software engineering like assessing knowledge of the field? That's the only thing which has me a bit worried as it says to look at the job description but they've put pretty much nothing on there, it pretty much just describes the development lifecycle they would be using within the company
Reply 15
Original post by awesomeyou
Hi, I have my interview next week for air software engineering aswell, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of technical questions were asked - is it related to software engineering like assessing knowledge of the field? That's the only thing which has me a bit worried as it says to look at the job description but they've put pretty much nothing on there, it pretty much just describes the development lifecycle they would be using within the company

It was split into behavioural and technical. I would advise you to take a pen and paper in with you so you can jot down the questions as you are given them. Here are simplified versions of those which I can remember:

-Tell me about yourself
-Example of conflict
-Example of decision making

- Why BAE/ What do you know about BAE
-Give me a piece of technology you use regularly, how would you improve it?
-How does the process of developing software look, i.e: speaking to stakeholders, making a plan, coding and testing
-Where do you see yourself in X number of years?

There were a few more but nothing out of the ordinary, just have a few rehearsed answers for the standard interview questions. I’ll be honest my examples weren’t great but it’s more about how you explain the situation, the results of your action and most importantly what you have learnt from that experience.
It was split into behavioural and technical. I would advise you to take a pen and paper in with you so you can jot down the questions as you are given them. Here are simplified versions of those which I can remember:
-Tell me about yourself
-Example of conflict
-Example of decision making
- Why BAE/ What do you know about BAE
-Give me a piece of technology you use regularly, how would you improve it?
-How does the process of developing software look, i.e: speaking to stakeholders, making a plan, coding and testing
-Where do you see yourself in X number of years?
There were a few more but nothing out of the ordinary, just have a few rehearsed answers for the standard interview questions. I’ll be honest my examples weren’t great but it’s more about how you explain the situation, the results of your action and most importantly what you have learnt from that experience.

Thanks a lot! Those technical questions probably would have thrown me off on the spot, i probably would have ended up missing key points that you mentioned, like talking to stakeholders, but the advice will definitely help me prepare. So once again, thanks a lot. And good luck with your application aswell!
Thanks a lot! Those technical questions probably would have thrown me off on the spot, i probably would have ended up missing key points that you mentioned, like talking to stakeholders, but the advice will definitely help me prepare. So once again, thanks a lot. And good luck with your application aswell!

same thing happened to me with the stakeholders bit
Original post by 100169990
same thing happened to me with the stakeholders bit

I guess its a unique interview, for all my other DA interviews, the most 'technical' question I have been asked is how can the growth of fintechs affect HSBC (it was an interview with HSBC), so this is a completely different level of questions. I have it this tuesday and I am getting a little bit worried because I have had no time to put aside for it, tomorrow really is the only time I can give to it, but I also have another interview the day after which is inconvenient. Thankfully, for the behavioural questions, the other interviews I have done can be useful but I tend to not stick to the STAR technique so they drop marks off, I just have a different way of storytelling and I cannot stick to it, in one feedback email I got they said your answers were very enjoyable to listen to but you need to use the STAR technique to score higher. But anyway, that was a bit of a rant.

But I mean, everytime after the interview we think, I could have answered that better, but a lot of the time it has been answered well enough. I'm sure you've done well, and I hope you get an offer aswell!
I guess its a unique interview, for all my other DA interviews, the most 'technical' question I have been asked is how can the growth of fintechs affect HSBC (it was an interview with HSBC), so this is a completely different level of questions. I have it this tuesday and I am getting a little bit worried because I have had no time to put aside for it, tomorrow really is the only time I can give to it, but I also have another interview the day after which is inconvenient. Thankfully, for the behavioural questions, the other interviews I have done can be useful but I tend to not stick to the STAR technique so they drop marks off, I just have a different way of storytelling and I cannot stick to it, in one feedback email I got they said your answers were very enjoyable to listen to but you need to use the STAR technique to score higher. But anyway, that was a bit of a rant.
But I mean, everytime after the interview we think, I could have answered that better, but a lot of the time it has been answered well enough. I'm sure you've done well, and I hope you get an offer aswell!

I definately could've done better. I messed up on 1 competency question and 1 technical. Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending